FREE MULCH -What a Blessing!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by DouglasPeeps, Jul 29, 2008.

1. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    We live in a rural area. As I drove down the main road today, there were workers trimming trees and mulching them. I decided to be brave and stop and ask about the mulch. One of the men told me that they usually take the mulch to local landscaping companies and then the landscaping companies wait for it to dry out and then sell it. He said to talk to the foreman if i was interested in the mulch. So, I drove up to him and asked him the same questions about what they do with the mulch. He said, "Do you want it?" I said that I would love it. He said ok, but it is a full truck load. I told him great and left my address. He sent me off with an "orange cone" to mark the spot in my driveway where I wanted it dumped. Well, they just came and dumped it and said they would bring me another full truck load tomorrow if I was interested. Of course, I said yes. They told me that it would take a week to dry out and then it would be ready to use. We are in the process of landscaping and my husband and I have been pricing. Landscaping even if done by yourself is not cheap.

Needless to say, this is a blessing! Just wanted to share this blessing with you.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Congrats! [​IMG] Don't you just love it when things work out so nicely?!?! [​IMG]

3. emandmikey

emandmikey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wake Forest, NC
    I have always been too chicken to ask when I see them doing that! I thought they might have a 'deal' set up with some mulch company... You're lucky you could get it for free! Make sure to let it 'cure' though - I think it can leach nitrogen FROM the soil if it's put down too soon... may need to research that a bit!

4. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Yes, I do. Normally I don't ask or even think to stop and ask for something like this. Maybe it's the "being in the county thing". I just decided that if they told me that it was being used for something else, I would say, "ok, thanks." I told myself that it doesn't hurt to ask. I am so glad I did.

5. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Oh WOW...what a great find. Congrats!!

6. Celeste

Celeste Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Lyndon
    Wow...how wonderful!!

7. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    [​IMG] That is really great!!

It never hurts to ask~~I feel shy about that myself sometimes. [​IMG]

8. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Most tree services will do this - alot of them pay to take it to the dump even the the dump will compost it & sell the compost...

I also would suggest curing/drying it out before using it some trees will have been pruned/removed due to disease/infestation.....even when used only as a top dressing.....

If you incorporate into the soil there will be a nitrogen loss like the previous poster indicated....which if you fertilize regularly & in a drought area would still be a good thing.....

9. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I will certainly let it "cure". I am in no hurry to put it down since this was a surprise and we have yet to start anything officially. Thank you for the advice in regard to that emandmikey and eggzettera. [​IMG]

10. redkan

redkan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Central Maine
    Be careful. Do you have any idea what kind of trees it is? Hardwood mulch draws nitrogen from the soil as it decomposes and is also much drier than softwood mulch so you may see some damage to any garden plants. You can counteract this by fertilizing the plants and by watering them more frequently. It won't take long before this process is over but you do need to watcj for signs of plant stress.

FYI, if you're wondering how I know, I work for a company that manufactures mulch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by