Free range and egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ange, Jan 22, 2010.

1. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    My hens have not started laying yeet, but, anyway, my question is. In the afternoons, I let my chickens ouit of the coop, and free range. Ifn they want to lay a egg, I could only wish, maybe I WILL NOT SDEE THE EGG, SO WILL THEY GO BACK TO COOP AND LAYT AN EGG while free rangfing or just lay where ever. My hen quite laying and my 9 months old one have not started laying yet. Alkso can any show me a picture of what the rir waffles and red parts are to look like when they are at age to lay, comperable to my age rir, som i can see if mine are ready

2. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    in summer mine just roost in a barn since we only have predater problems in winter so i dont even have to open a door the just come out on there own....they dont just lay anywhere they lay in the trickyest places to get to

3. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    I usually wait till noon to let mine out. Any that haven't laid yet will return to lay their egg when they feel the need. What kind of chickens do you have? I am surprised that they aren't laying at 9 months old. Oh, just re read your post and I see you have RIR. They should be laying by now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by