free range chickens and my kiddo.

jcbenton

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 8, 2014
I'm a new chicken owner and have kind of a silly question. My 3 chicks are 4 weeks old and I'm debating on free range vs enclosed run. I would like to free range them but should I be worried about my two year old daughter running around barefoot?

I'm a new chicken owner and have kind of a silly question. My 3 chicks are 4 weeks old and I'm debating on free range vs enclosed run. I would like to free range them but should I be worried about my two year old daughter running around barefoot?

Yes they are little so yes a run first then about a year old then free range and put a roof on the run and you can in close or just leave it so for the winter so the snow will not be in the run and it will be dry not wet and cold for your chickens

If you don't have lots of acreage for the chickens, you'll be stepping in crap now and again. We "free range" our chickens in our yard regularly and it takes them (6 chickens) about 2 days to turn 1/6 of an acre into a mine field.

My grandson just turned 2 this week. I had him in the hen house the other day and handed him a freshly laid egg to let him feel how warm it was. He immediately popped almost all of it in his mouth! Arghhhh!!!

I can't imagine what he'd find to do with all that poop . . .
sickbyc.gif

Nope...kids have been doing that since the beginning of time without any problems. Chicken poop on the feet won't hurt her. If you have a dog it will likely keep those problems cleaned up anyway.
big_smile.png
Normal washing of hands before eating and wiping of feet before entering the house should keep her out of trouble.

Here's something that may help you free range successfully...it doesn't mention anything about chicken poop on bare tootsies but it could help keep your chickens safe: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bees-key-points-to-successful-and-safe-free-ranging

Lots of good overall ranging info in Bee's write up.

You'll might just have to try free ranging out to see if it suits your lifestyle and activities.
I have chosen so far not to free range because of a very busy road, a plethora of predators and because I don't want chicken poop all over everywhere.
It's a personal and situational decision.

I don't have links, but I've heard studies that say kids raised on farms are overall healthier than kids raised in suburbs/cities. I'm guessing that has to do with regular stimulation of the immune system, via exposure to animals and their wastes.

Yep, she'll step in poop. She probably won't like it and will let you know right away. Rinse it off with the hose and you're good to go. You'll just decide how much time you want to spend cleaning her feet.....

I'd be more worried about a barefoot child getting a splinter or other skin break/puncture than I would worry about them stepping on a chicken bomb. It depends on your personal comfort level with your child's exposure to dirt. A little poo won't hurt her.

Thank you everyone! I have lots to think about and very much appreciate your input.

When they would throw down fresh tar on the roads, my brother and I would run up and down them barefoot. It took lighter fluid to get that off and we're okay *twitch*.
tongue.png

Chicken poop on feet won't hurt your child. It could be messy though if it's tracked inside. You could have a hose set up by the door or a tub of water to rinse feet in before coming inside.

Back
Top Bottom