Free Range Eggs?

Up here in Northern California we call chickens who range in a fenced in 'pasture' area "pasture range chickens". We consider free range, free to go as far as they like. Cage free are chickens kept in a coop with a small run to outside area with fresh air. I don't consider 'free range' and 'pasture range' any different.

Last edited:
I consider my flock of six hens both free range and cage free. Now I realize I may not have a dog in the hunt as my girls are strictly non-commercial. They are pets, the only time they are in a 'cage' is when they voluntarily go in the coop at dusk, all other times they 'free-range in my backyard, a 50x100 lot in the middle of a large city. Yes, it is fenced in with a wood fence (which they love to fly up and perch on, Lol! )

Quote:
I wish more people in the world saw pics like this. Every household would have a few chickens.
love.gif

But that being said, there's still a difference for "Backyard Chickeners" between free range and cage free. I think to most people, free range is a coop for sleeping/laying, with no run and free access to the property. Cage free = no teeny tiny cages, but somewhat confined to a coop and a run, or a garden area.

Back
Top Bottom