Free range heritage meat birds with laying hens

Skcup

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Is this a terrible idea? I have one electronet and currently my hens and roo are in it and loving it. I bought it in order to use it with my little meat birds but I don't know if I have the heart to take it away from my hens. I could buy a second one but I wondered if there'd be too many problems putting my little heritage meat birds out with the hens.

They are Red Sussex crosses and around 5 weeks right now. My hens and roo are various heritage mutts. Will it hurt them to have access to the broiler crumble if they ALSO have access to laying crumble? Will the hens laying choose the food that works for them if they need the extra vitamins in the lay crumble?

It would be really nice to let them out together and since they're not Cornish Xs, I thought there might be a chance that it would work.

In my experience, the hens will go for the meat bird feed. Not sure whether it is a territory/pecking order thing. They will also eat their layer feed.

I don't think it is a big deal either way. The layer feed may not be optimal for the meaties and the grower feed may not be perfect for the layers, but they will get along just fine.

I'd do it.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom