Free Range in Late Afternoon - Is there a reason why?

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
I read so many posts relating how owners allow their chickens to begin free ranging a couple of hours before it's time for them to go into the coop for the evening. Is there a reason for this time's being used? Why not in the morning or early afternoon?

I know that for myself, I dont get home from work until about 4pm. They know.....they know that I am due home and crowd around waiting for me to let them out. I WOULD NOT let them free range during the day when I am gone to work. There are too many dogs, coon, skunks, fox, wolf, bear, bobcat, mink around to threaten them. Notice I did not say cat, I watched that stand off, I think they can handle their own against a housecat.
smile.png

I let mine out in the afternoon after I'm done running errands. I also don't let them stay out while I'm not here. Also, they learn to go back into the coop at dusk, so you don't have to herd them.
big_smile.png

I'm in the same situation as roosmom, and many others, I would guess.

I let them out as soon as I get home from work. I also let them out all day on the weekends, if I am home. I'm really hesitant to have them range while I am gone, even for a little bit.

Also, I think it's because they'll go back into the coop by themselves at dusk, as opposed to you flailing wildly all over the yard to try to herd them in because you have to run off to a hair appointment.

we let ours free range all day, but that i because I never leave the house, LOL I am always at home in the office that has windows and a door right out to the yard so I can keep an eye on the flock. But if we do all leave the house we keep them in the run till we get home, that only happens once in a great while.
We have never had to round them up and get them into the coop, they just go on their own every evening when the sun starts to go down.

Back
Top Bottom