Free Range in Late Afternoon - Is there a reason why?

Thanks for the answers. I asked because we usually let ours out to free range in our fenced side and back yards all day. I go out and call them, and they come running to wherever I am or follow me to the run to get the handful of bird seed that I have for them. In fact, I was walking to the run just now to get a handful from the plastic container that I keep it in when I heard the hens' low growling sound. I turned around, and there they and the rooster were about six inches from my heels. They marched into the run before I even had a chance to get the bird seed. I can lock them up in the run any time I choose; they'll do anything for bird seeds.

Quote:
No, we're pretty sure it's your animal magnetism and building/painting skills.

Actually, the reason that I asked was that I thought maybe some predators such as hawks aren't around in the late afternoon. I wondered if I should keep mine in because of that. Last week I had a hawk land right beside the spruce tree that my hens and rooster were under, and I sure don't want a repeat of that. Luckily my wife saw it from the kitchen window and went outside and chased it off. I was hoping that there was a "safe" time from hawks in the late afternoon, but I see now that that's not the case.

Nah, you're right; it's my animal magnetism with local hawks that's protecting my chickens. What was I thinking.

my ranging birds go out first thing in the a.m. and stay out all day. they are meaties, and they go all over the yard. at dusk, they head for the tractor.

my layers (well, if you can call birds who are holding out layers!) stay in big runs....except when they release themselves on their own recognizance, feeling that the run no longer has anything to offer them.
barnie.gif

the reason some people let the layers out to range in the afternoon is so they have a good chance of laying eggs BEFORE they go out. (this is people who are home daily, not those who work away from home.) just easier to find the eggs.

There are the fewest predators in the afternoon. Early morning and evening are when most of the critters hunt. Even more of an issue for my half grown bantams than for a flock of standards. It also means the chickens don't wander as far before it's bed time and they are likely to lay most of their eggs in the coop before going out. The biggest reason mine get out late though is on days I don't have a morning class I want to sleep in.
tongue.png

I was wondering the same thing .

Mine are in an enclosed predator protected run with attached coop and they go back and forth as they choose ... 16x32

They come out very early ( on their own ) and re-enter only to lay and they go right back out . Late afternoon , they start going back in for the night .

BUT BASICALLY they are out in the run all day long .

I guess I have been lucky mine go out in the morning and go back to the coop to lay I am in and out all day so they are never alone too long.

I get home from college in the early to late afternoon so after I let the dog out, pick up the little sis, and feed both of them, its freerange for the chicken time. They don't get the option every day, but they do when I can. That and I don't do it daily because they poop EVERYWHERE!

Back
Top Bottom