Free range integration opinions please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by abhaya, Dec 16, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I have a large breed free range flock of 6 hens 1 roo. I have 5 birds 3 hens 1 roo 1 undecided I think roo I want to integrate them into the flock. The are now in a coop close by the large breed coop. and the large breed see them all day every day and I have never had any fence fighting. My large breed roo is very gentle and well behaived. Chases a hen now and then but never tackels any. If they dont sqat he leaves them alone.

What do you think let them free range with the large breed abd watch or sneek them into the coop at night.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've always done it while free ranging and while I offered treats to distract them, but lots of folks do it at night; they say chickens can't count and won't notice. Maybe so.

However, when those two roos are together and around hens, I think you're going to see some major male fighting, even though they seem peaceful now. It's just being a chicken.

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Thats how mine were integrated together. They got along fine. I had pullets picking on hens [​IMG]

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I'd just open all the doors and let 'em flow. The roos will have to duke it out sooner or later, so let them get the order settled out on the open range instead of in the coop in the morning. Easier for the little fella to run away if he is outside already.

5. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    they'll be fine. a definite pecking order, but thats with any flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by