Free Range or Not? What Does Everyone Prefer?

The problem with the hawks is that once they kill and eat that first chicken, there's no stopping them. The first few years we had chickens on this farm, the hawks never touched a chicken. We didn't think they would! We just figured Red Tails don't eat chickens. The hens are too big. Well, I think they had to get desperate enough to grab one, and then all bets were off. From then on, they hunted the chickens until they killed most of them. And they would bring their babies here to hunt and kill chickens. So the next generation learned how to do it, and so on. Horrible problem.

Here's a few photos of what we built. You can see their house in the 2nd picture. It is part of the big barn, and it's a separate room, I think 12x12x8.

In the 1st and 3rd photos you can see that big forest of trees off in the background - that's where the 2 breeding pair of Red Tails live with their babies. They raise about 2 young ones every spring.

So yeah, we built a McMansion for my birdies so they could live comfortably and happily without being croweded, hot, or miserable. I knew most of their time would be in the run. They have heating and air conditioning in their house, they have fans. They have food and water in the house, and in the run. They have flock blocks, and I put out various fruits and vegetables every morning. I also pick a large armload of grass for them every morning and throw in the run. Their regular feed is a mix of cracked corn, black oil seed, and layer crumble so they get a mix. I also buy bags of some kind of chicken treat at Tractor Supply that looks like little yellow balls of cat food. It says something about bringing the free range inside the coop. Can't remember the name brand. It's made up of different forages and vegetables into a kibble format and they love that stuff.

Every night when I let them out, we sit on the law together and they eat mealworms. I stay out there with them while they run all over the yard and dig and scratch but they only get maybe 2 hours at most in the evenings and that's it. I usually lay under a tree and read on my iPhone while they do their thing. I usually have snacks and a glass of tea for myself, and they always run back to me and beg for food, take a drink of my tea, and then run off again.
gig.gif
At this point they actually seem lost and afraid when I'm not out there. They seem to always want to run back to me and "check in" instead of just running off to do their own thing. But I hand raised them and they have been extremely spoiled and handled extensively every day so that's pretty much all they know.

If you get more mature birds that are more independent and used to being free ranged and then try to lock them in a run 24/7, they would probably be more stir crazy.

Love your run area! Are those lights at the top of the posts? I've thought about adding some to mine as well.

as far as i am conserned, free-range is much better. i used to do free-range, but a large family of foxes moved in and i haven't been able to free-range them, because we lost a lot of birds to the fox. i went from 30 guineas to 0
hit.gif
. so, depends on how many predator problems you have.

I free range during the day, though I have had to shorten my free range time due to predators. We just had a very rare rain and seeing them have so much fun scratching in the grass for all the bugs the rain brought out reminds me of why I free range. They enjoy being out. They let me know they are unhappy when I don't let them out. Even if they have a shorter life, it is important to me that they have a better quality of life. Plus, the eggs are healthier.

Last edited:
I prefer to free range because I think it's good for chickens to be able to get out and run around and eat bugs and plants and drink water out of puddles. (They seem to prefer puddle water to water from the waterer) Because I free range, I accept the fact that there will be losses now and then. So far it's been a good summer, but you never know when a coyote, fox, hawk or other critter will decide to enjoy a chicken buffet. I also have runs for my birds so I can keep them penned if I feel the need. I prefer not to, if I don't have to.

ETA - My chickens are locked in a coop at night. There are way too many varmints out here for them to spend their nights outside.
I agree with this completely! This is the same thing that I do!

Free ranging would be really nice. At least being able to let them out in the evening would be nice.

But although I live on a mountain, out in the boonies, I cannot do either. There are neighbors with dogs who believe their dogs can go anywhere they want to go and do what they want but that my chickens need to be penned up. One experience with that was enough.

We have predators everywhere. Feral cats, raccoons, possums, coyotes and the neighbors dogs. So, I have really large runs. I treat my chickens with healthy treats several times a week. I go around and pull up grass for them daily.

Free ranging would really be ideal......but I just can't do it where I live.

Very well said and I agree completely. I have 30 acres and one would think I could free range. Not so. Too many stray dogs, etc. My son has tried to free range and lost half of his flock. The other half lay where they want to. Few if any eggs.

I prefer to free range because I think it's good for chickens to be able to get out and run around and eat bugs and plants and drink water out of puddles. (They seem to prefer puddle water to water from the waterer) Because I free range, I accept the fact that there will be losses now and then. So far it's been a good summer, but you never know when a coyote, fox, hawk or other critter will decide to enjoy a chicken buffet. I also have runs for my birds so I can keep them penned if I feel the need. I prefer not to, if I don't have to.

ETA - My chickens are locked in a coop at night. There are way too many varmints out here for them to spend their nights outside.
ETA? Is that a person?

I free range. My hubby didn't build the size coop I'd like so it's too small IMO for the flock. they all seem to be happy. they do visit the coop periodically through out the day. My one red star is missing since yesterday. i think she is hiding sitting on eggs somewhere in the round bales. She made a be line to them yesterday when I left them out. I haven't seen her since.

I guess I am not sure what we are doing. I have had a flock for only a year now. We are on about 1/2 acre. The hens are in a back corner in a fenced area where they can roam around and get bugs and eat lots of scraps and move about and stay in the shade since we live in a hotter area. When we do get rain I let them roam around the entire back yard since there is cloud coverage and they can get more worms and such. they are definitely protected at night, we've lost a couple to raccoons even with that protection which has been heart breaking. Loving having my back yard chickens

From what I understand... Free Ranging is natural for certain breeds chicken and not for others due to selective breeding. If you have the land, are ok with losses due to predation, and you have the breeds that are "designed for" or "suited for" evading predators, then by all means... Free Range. There's nothing quite like an egg from a chicken that has been making it's own living.

If you do not have the land... if your birds can't see predators through their unnatural feather configurations, or are too big to fly up and out of ground predators' reach or run fast enough, or agile enough to dodge away from, or otherwise have the instincts or physical characteristics/means to avoid and escape from predators...and you can't bear the thought of losing any of your birds to predators... Then please... do yourself and your chickens a favor, and keep them enclosed.

If you don't, it's like going camping in the Rockies, and tying your shitzu to the tree out front overnight... and then crying in the morning when you discover your dog was eaten by a bear. Poor dog... not poor dog owner.

There are plenty of ways to provide similar benefits of free ranging whilst maintaining a modicum of security for your otherwise unsuited for free-ranging flock. Tractors for pasturing, and oversized or compartmented enclosures are a good start.

Back
Top Bottom