Free Range or Not? What Does Everyone Prefer?

I would like to let my chickens run free range all the time but I can't becouse I have a bird dog that is still a little too fascinated with them
he.gif
But i would say YES, if you can you should let them free range I think they are happier ,heathier and less likely to bully.

Last edited:
I was letting my chickens be free range when I was around to watch them as we have hawks flying overhead during the day (and moreso now that we have chickens - no fools those hawks). But then this weekend I lost a chicken to this apparent obstruction in its crop. It was gasping for air, flopping over on its face and its breast was all fluid filled and squishy. I isolated the chicken, killed and buried it as I didn't know what it could be and was afraid it might be contagious to the others. Then I asked a local market gardener who keeps chickens and she said that it was likely from the grass from free range, that the grass had gotten bound up in the crop and basically choked the chicken. So this made sense when she explained it, but then I thought about the logic. If that were a common problem, wouldn't a lot of free range chickens meet their demise in this way?

Any thoughts folks? All of my other chickens seem fine, so it does appear to be some unusual accident for this one hen. Is this a hazard of free range?

I was letting my chickens be free range when I was around to watch them as we have hawks flying overhead during the day (and moreso now that we have chickens - no fools those hawks). But then this weekend I lost a chicken to this apparent obstruction in its crop. It was gasping for air, flopping over on its face and its breast was all fluid filled and squishy. I isolated the chicken, killed and buried it as I didn't know what it could be and was afraid it might be contagious to the others. Then I asked a local market gardener who keeps chickens and she said that it was likely from the grass from free range, that the grass had gotten bound up in the crop and basically choked the chicken. So this made sense when she explained it, but then I thought about the logic. If that were a common problem, wouldn't a lot of free range chickens meet their demise in this way?

Any thoughts folks? All of my other chickens seem fine, so it does appear to be some unusual accident for this one hen. Is this a hazard of free range?
When I let my chickens out to free range, I leave plenty of waterers around, as well as the garden hose on so it creates a puddle for them to drink. Its not the grass that is bad for them, its lack of water. A chicken needs PLENTY of water in order for its crop to function properly. Just keep plenty of fresh clean water, and they should be okay. Theyll know when to get a drink of water.

I hope some day our chickies will go from free range into a LARGE, absolutely secured and controlled area. Mainly because if someone disappears, you may never find out what happened (and I can't stand that suspense, sitting at work and thinking where the heck it could have gotten stuck etc), the other reason being uncontrolled breeding. We have a lot of chickies as it is, and much as I love them, I'd prefer to either concentrate on breeding selectively one breed, or else on rescue (e.g. ex-battery), but not on producing our own mixes left, right and center (cos we don't eat our chickens so they are all pets). I hope one day we can finally make the necessary changes to put them all in a nice large enclosure.

We free range, they are penned at night when they go in to roost but otherwise they are free all day. When we first started with chickens we lost birds to coyotes. We got a Great Pyr last September as a 16 week old puppy and he has spent every moment since being our yard guardian and we haven't lost another chicken. It was definitely a perfect solution as we see coyotes and fox on a regular basis. He keeps them outside our 3 acres and he's an awesome dog in general so we are really glad we found that as a solution. We did have the chickens mostly penned for awhile but we encountered problems with the hens picking on each other and we also ended up with a mouse infestation that was beyond gross. Letting them free range is the best in our situation.

We free-ranged completely for a while. Now we have them fenced in. They are in an acre of pasture and locked up at night. I got tired of the poop everywhere and our landscaping destroyed.

Not wanting to stray off topic, but can any of you experienced free rangers give a girl any tips on how to begin with free ranging? I am a complete newcomer to the world of raising chickens, and am only 6 weeks into raising my small flock of 10 girls. I have had them out on my lawn in a large dog crate that I move every day out and about. I live in an area where there are foxes, coyotes, raccoons, skunk, hawks, eagles and everything else that could harm them. I have a 100 acres out behind my small acerage. I own a young herding/guard dog who all ready has a healthy interest in watching over them, but isn't formally trained yet to follow their every move.

I was thinking that I would'nt start to free range them until next spring, when they are large ladies, as I think they are far too small now. I also think that I may only let them out when I am out with them, and working with the horses we own. Would having my precense and the dog with me be enough to deter them? I tend to think not. How does a hawk swoop down, has anyone had this happen when they are out with them that they have witnessed it? I figure I will start in very small spurts, and lure them back with some of their favorite treats. Is the time before dusk best to start teaching, so they have a natural desire to head back in to their coop? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

THanks!

MB

My 9 girls are out in my garden, as free range as you get in a town garden in England. They love the freedom and choices, trees and shade, dustbathing in the flower beds, and grubbing about in the compost heap -I know we have foxes that come down from the hill near the town, and so far we have lost one girl to the fox, in 6 years. It was enormously sad but really Id rather they go to the fox than die of old age or some horrible problem like prolapse or infection.Theyre in a pen and coop at night, they're happy to come in if bribed !

Not wanting to stray off topic, but can any of you experienced free rangers give a girl any tips on how to begin with free ranging? I am a complete newcomer to the world of raising chickens, and am only 6 weeks into raising my small flock of 10 girls. I have had them out on my lawn in a large dog crate that I move every day out and about. I live in an area where there are foxes, coyotes, raccoons, skunk, hawks, eagles and everything else that could harm them. I have a 100 acres out behind my small acerage. I own a young herding/guard dog who all ready has a healthy interest in watching over them, but isn't formally trained yet to follow their every move.

I was thinking that I would'nt start to free range them until next spring, when they are large ladies, as I think they are far too small now. I also think that I may only let them out when I am out with them, and working with the horses we own. Would having my precense and the dog with me be enough to deter them? I tend to think not. How does a hawk swoop down, has anyone had this happen when they are out with them that they have witnessed it? I figure I will start in very small spurts, and lure them back with some of their favorite treats. Is the time before dusk best to start teaching, so they have a natural desire to head back in to their coop? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

THanks!

MB
We started with very short spurts later in the day and then gradually let it grow longer. The dog will probably be enough protection if he does his job. Hawks are another thing entirely though. You just have to see if they get interested. If they do I would be hesitant to put them out without a cover of some sort to protect them. So far I've been lucky that hawks don't cause us problems but it could happen, we have them. If we had a hawk problem we would probably pen them almost entirely.

to Melabella:
train the girls often and anytime with a metal tin full of grain, sunflower kernels or other treats, they'll learn the noise really quickly and come miles when they hear it !

electric fence the area you are using - most predators wont clear a fence without touching the top edge, especially dog-type animals.

Provide trees or other cover such as 'tents' of two sheets of ply angled together, for shelter from overhead sightings.
enjoy !

katedf

Back
Top Bottom