Free-range Rooster

FaereChicken

Songster
11 Years
Jan 1, 2009
N. Central Maryland
Hi all;

I'd like to let our small flock out (when the flower beds are grown enough to withstand all the scratching), but here's my problem: when the hens see me, they come running for food. When the rooster sees me, he comes running to kick my kneecaps, right behind the hens. I don't want to let the girls out without him though.

Seems like They're doomed to stay behind bars, for my safety!

I have 8 Sumatra Roosters and none of them are like that. All well behaved with humans. 2 of them fight amung themselves, and I can pick one of them up to break up the fight without even getting pecked. Sounds like your rooster has an attitude......

You need to have a meeting of the minds with your rooster, or get another one. Why keep a mean animal you're afraid of or in danger from?

There are too many great roosters who are protective of the hens, but are not human aggressive. I have three of them right now and one is about 13 lb. Bad boys don't get to stay or reproduce their nasty temperaments here. Don't have the time or inclination to watch my back. You can get another rooster.

this is regarding free range but not roosters, hope this is the right spot for my question. I have 5 chicks, about 6 weeks old. They have been out in their enclosed run 6 x 10 with a 6 x 4 nest area for 2 weeks now, anyway I would love to free range them when Im around, but we live on a large wooded lot with no fence, how do I know they would come back and not just wander(or run) off...how do I learn to trust them?? I know you cannot chase a chicken!!
D.gif

this is regarding free range but not roosters, hope this is the right spot for my question. I have 5 chicks, about 6 weeks old. They have been out in their enclosed run 6 x 10 with a 6 x 4 nest area for 2 weeks now, anyway I would love to free range them when Im around, but we live on a large wooded lot with no fence, how do I know they would come back and not just wander(or run) off...how do I learn to trust them?? I know you cannot chase a chicken!!
D.gif

I lock them out of their run and they get no grain or food of any sort until after they've come back to the hen house. Oh, and I carry a bucket of table scraps out to the hen house at night, and sing a specific song (annoying my husband in the process). The chickens associate the song with food, and coming "home. It works really well.

Do you suppose that if we had more than one rooster, we would look less like competition to them? I hate to get rid of him just because he's being a rooster.
No, if you had more than one rooster you would not only have a rooster that attacks you, you will also have rooster fights on your hands. I would not keep a human aggressive rooster.

Back
Top Bottom