Free Range shelters?

All of mine are free range, but they put themselves up at night in a coop. I have a friend that has pretty much three sided shelters with roost in them, thats what his birds use, but I like to keep all mine in one place.

I have two small coops that they retire in at night. I lock them in at dusk and open the coops for the day at sunrise.

I've seen some folks talking about open shelters but I just can't bring myself to leave them that unprotected at night, especially since I live in a rural location.

Mine are let out of the coop in AM and they put themselves away at night. If you are asking what type of shelter they find in case of rain/snow mine will find shelter under picnic table, trees, pickup truck, on the front porch, etc... I have built nothing special for them to go under.

When they're out free ranging and the weather gets bad, they have a choice of going back inside the coop or taking shelter elsewhere. If it's raining hard they squish themselves against the garage door where it stays dry. Or they go into the horses run in shed. They prefer to stay in the coop when it's cold though.

I also freerange, when I'm home... so 90% of the time!
lol.png

My chickens always come out for the day, and put themselves away at night.

If they are fearful of something and hide, I find them in the wheel wells of my husband's truck, or under the deck on the old brick stairs there. I would like to have a tree in the back yard near their coop for additional protection from hawks and such. We have a very OPEN acre of land with no trees.

Our free range birds are letout of their coops in the A.M. and they put themselves back in in the p.m. then we close them in for the night.
If they need to go in their pen its always open for them to do so during the day .

Then we also have some movable pens for free range that you just move whereever you want .They are made from cattle panels with chicken wire over the panels , like a hoop house kinda .We just toss a tarp over it fastened down for shade and protection from weather.

I've been keeping mine in their pen in the morning until they lay and then letting them out in the yard for the rest of the day. If I don't come get them as it's getting dark they just go into their coop on their own. They have just started laying and I'm a little concerned that there are eggs some where in the neighbors' yard that I can't find.
hmm.png
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom