Free range? So much poop!

quite true! 🤣 I would say the same, if i didnt get guilt tripped by them 24/7. i try to let them out where we just dont sit but when i leave the door open to pull groceries out of the car and the chickens are sitting on my sofa aint no way im getting them out.
I like the saying "you can't miss what you've never had". Before I hatched my chickens, I made a plan to never let them out, and I never have. They have only known their coop and run in their lifetimes, and the enclosed garden in the off season (I carry them to the garden and back one by one though, so it's still a controlled experience). They have never walked loose in the yard. And because they never have, they aren't scrambling to get out. Chickens are naturally wary of new things, including new spaces, and the open yard is a new, unfamiliar space for them. We have had a couple of instances where one of the kids forgot to close/lock the run door, and a chicken or two wandered out of the run. They were very funny - they looked like they got caught red handed trespassing, they were pacing back and forth along the run fence, looking alarmed and confused. I put them back in their run and that was that. They did not intentionally try to escape even after having briefly been outside. If it's chickens that are used to roaming, who have done it since young, then of course it's a habit at that point and they'd want to get back to that. But if they've never done it, then they feel exposed and vulnerable out in the open. With time and exposure, they can learn to like it of course, but if you never give them that chance, you can harness that first reaction of fear and alarm, and rest easy that they aren't plotting to get out, and aren't feeling like prisoners. Chickens like routines and familiar things, including familiar spaces. Provided that they have enough room in their run, they'll be totally fine never leaving it.

I like the saying "you can't miss what you've never had". Before I hatched my chickens, I made a plan to never let them out, and I never have. They have only known their coop and run in their lifetimes, and the enclosed garden in the off season (I carry them to the garden and back one by one though, so it's still a controlled experience). They have never walked loose in the yard. And because they never have, they aren't scrambling to get out. Chickens are naturally wary of new things, including new spaces, and the open yard is a new, unfamiliar space for them. We have had a couple of instances where one of the kids forgot to close/lock the run door, and a chicken or two wandered out of the run. They were very funny - they looked like they got caught red handed trespassing, they were pacing back and forth along the run fence, looking alarmed and confused. I put them back in their run and that was that. They did not intentionally try to escape even after having briefly been outside. If it's chickens that are used to roaming, who have done it since young, then of course it's a habit at that point and they'd want to get back to that. But if they've never done it, then they feel exposed and vulnerable out in the open. With time and exposure, they can learn to like it of course, but if you never give them that chance, you can harness that first reaction of fear and alarm, and rest easy that they aren't plotting to get out, and aren't feeling like prisoners. Chickens like routines and familiar things, including familiar spaces. Provided that they have enough room in their run, they'll be totally fine never leaving it.
Yep! Our chickens are constantly going in our neighbors yard, and it was without our knowing, they would sneak on their porch and eat all sorts of beetles and would end up hanging out with their chicken friends, we of course fixed this problem now. There was a gap between the fence they had squeezed threw to get over. it didnt happen for long as we caught it pretty easily, but still. little rebels!

What you say makes so much sense now that I've actually experienced chickens. I wish I new what I know now. Started raising chickens in August. Thought "free range" was the way to go, assumed chickens wouldn't want to be bothered with our human space. Boy was I wrong lol. My patio is a mess, poop everywhere and try to divide space now and they rebel by flying over barriers lol. Is there any hope for those of us who want to stop free ranging?

I have 4 in a space of around 20'x50', aka my fenced backyard. I don't find poop to be a problem, honestly. They like to hang out under the deck, where they can get out of wind and rain, or near the house foundation, where they can sun- and dust-bathe. I have a broom that lives next to the back door, so I can sweep poop off the deck if needed.

I will say that the first year, when I had only 2, it seemed that poop was always in the way, but now that those girls are older and I added 2 more chickens, there pararoxically seems to be less poop. I guess they spend most of their time out of the way.

I have 4 in a space of around 20'x50', aka my fenced backyard. I don't find poop to be a problem, honestly. They like to hang out under the deck, where they can get out of wind and rain, or near the house foundation, where they can sun- and dust-bathe. I have a broom that lives next to the back door, so I can sweep poop off the deck if needed.

I will say that the first year, when I had only 2, it seemed that poop was always in the way, but now that those girls are older and I added 2 more chickens, there pararoxically seems to be less poop. I guess they spend most of their time out of the way.
I should've stuck with 4, but then the chicken math got to me lol I love all my girls though

we started with a 16x8 fully enclosed, predator-proof run for our 12 birds.

my wife almost immediately wanted to let them free range, but i had no desire to deal with poop all over the yard, managing our dogs and when they can go outside, and dealing with predators.

my compromise was to build a 50x50 enclosure adjacent to their current run, but in an unmanicured area of the yard that we’d never use.

that’s a very long-winded version of @3KillerBs answer: just fence them in where you want them.
Do you have safety netting on the top? Sounds like a nice space.

Back
Top Bottom