Free range success story, its the little things!

BLG0617

Chirping
Jul 8, 2021
I've been reading and taking in all the information I could the past few weeks about how to start free ranging my chickens, although I still felt a little nervous. My husband built a brand new coop for our 6 older birds (11/12 weeks), so I moved them out to the coop, and as advised left them in the coop for the first 5 days to get them used to their new home. Last night I anxiously made the decision to let them out to free range about an hour before dark. I left a light on in the coop and the run door open. Like clockwork as soon as dusk hit, our cockerel Kirby started rounding his ladies up and they all went back into the coop on their own. After they were all in safe and roosting I went in and turned the light off. I didn't have to chase or touch a single chicken. Just thought I'd share my happiness over a small milestone and some pictures of them free ranging. Hoping this will continue being just as easy for us every night :)

Attachments

• 20210827_195145.jpg
    20210827_195145.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210827_202123.jpg
    20210827_202123.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 6
Glad it worked out well for you and the flock!
Thank you! We are planning to get our 2 younger Marans out there this week, hoping that'll be a smooth transition as well. We let them outside during the day to interact with the older birds and so far so good, cooping them together at night may be another story 😬

Thank you! We are planning to get our 2 younger Marans out there this week, hoping that'll be a smooth transition as well. We let them outside during the day to interact with the older birds and so far so good, cooping them together at night may be another story 😬

Integration can be tricky, hope it goes well!

Back
Top Bottom