Free range turkey questions

redneck farmer

Songster
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
in the swamp killin hawgs
So my dad is thinking of buying some land near where I live (about 10 acres) an we were thinking of putting cows and hogs on the land ( but the turkeys would only come in contact with cows)
An with some turkeys! My questions are
Can my turkeys be 100% free range turkeys with no coop but good roosting trees?
But my problem with the roosting trees is I would want to clip there wings so they don't fly away an go to another property an never return..
Has anyone ever done this? Just stick some turkeys out on your property an hope they stay without clipping there wings?

The answer is no to let completely free range unless there are no predators at all in the area I mean coons possums fox coyotes dogs large wild cats.

If you answered yes to any of the above if you enjoy feeding the local wild life speaking from my own experience then you will build a coop and a pen allow them to free range and then train them to stay close to the pen but still feed by only allowing part out at a time they will not stray far from the flock.
I also found they love bread and biscuit's when my Red Bourbons hear the back screen door slam they come a running thinking there going to get a biscuit the chickens do the same.
This helps just in case they do stray I can go out the back door and yell for them and they also come a running.
Make sure to run them back into the pen before dark and then lock them at dark in a secure coop this is the only way I have been able to keep safe my investment and there has been no more loss since

I hope I was of some help Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom