Free range unattended?

Pics
Every day. I have 55 birds (53? 52? I'd have to count - just culled a couple, and had a hatching about a week ago - numbers keep changing. Its in the sig, below). Most incubated myself, all are either hatchery quality or mutts in my breed project. I use them for eggs, and excess cockerels for meat.

There's electric fencing around the acres. I have some fenced runs. Plenty of trees in places, bushes in places, tall grasses in places. I expect a few losses every year.

One of the things I'm breeding for is better coloration and pattern for my property, to help my free rangers camo. Will it be 100%? Of course not. The local hawks have great eyes. But its easier for the local hawk to pick out my neighbor's solid white waddle walker (Cornish X) in its open topped run than it is to spot one of my red birds, or my pattered black and white birds, among the red to orange clay sands and scattered ground cover of multiple acres... When the birds are red-gold with black lacing, penciling, or barring? It will be harder still.

Risk management. Its a different balance for every owner. If these were pets, or rare breeds of quality, I might have a different answer. This is what works for me in the here and now. ...and every one of them is outside right now as I type this.

Thank you for your tips! I have a lot to think about. We don't have a lot of stuff to hide under except on the outskirts so if I did a fence, they would have no where to hide from aerial attacks but with no fence, we have lots from the bushes. Ugh!! This chicken ownership can be stressful!
Plant a few fast growing bushes in the fenced area for shelter and hiding.

Hello all. I have 7 week old chickens that I just started letting free range this weekend. They are doing really well so far but I was wondering if you can leave them unattended while free ranging? My husband and I like to take the UTV out on the trails but not sure if it's ok to leave them out while we're gone? Do people who let their chickens free range run errands and just live life as usual with their chickens loose? Thanks!
We used to let our chickens free range all over several acres enclosed in six foot chain link fence. We lost several (mostly bantam) hens to hawks. Now we let them into the back yard with the dogs or us. We get tons of help with weeding and planting, so it's fun. My chickens like to share my bottled drinks too. My husband built me a wonderful chicken house and a run 10ft x 40ft enclosed with chain link and chicken wire over the top. We've had at least one hawk dive down to get a chicken and bounced on top of the wire--pretty funny to see. So I don't think you should leave your leave your girls out when you're gone.
Once the hawks catch them they always come back.

Hello all. I have 7 week old chickens that I just started letting free range this weekend. They are doing really well so far but I was wondering if you can leave them unattended while free ranging? My husband and I like to take the UTV out on the trails but not sure if it's ok to leave them out while we're gone? Do people who let their chickens free range run errands and just live life as usual with their chickens loose? Thanks!
how free range are they? literally no fence and can travel the countryside?

I do leave my full grown chickens out when running errands unless I will be gone all day. 7 week old....NO!

I have a large yard with grass and fun places for my chickens to explore outside of their fenced in chicken yard, and I never leave them unattendent in terms of going away from the house. I do go indoors, but that's as far as I venture out. So far, and this has been for years, I haven't had a problem.

I live in the suburbs, with a fenced in yard less than 1 acre. I let my 3 1 year old hens free range all day. Personally, I'd never let 7 week olds free range unattended.

Thank you for your tips! I have a lot to think about. We don't have a lot of stuff to hide under except on the outskirts so if I did a fence, they would have no where to hide from aerial attacks but with no fence, we have lots from the bushes. Ugh!! This chicken ownership can be stressful!
My flock is full grown and they have a large run and coop. I never leave them out when I’m not home - we are very rural and yet, have dogs wander out here. We have abundant eagles and hawks, with very little tree canopy for cover. And we have lots of coyotes, etc. I observe the hawks and eagles and generally they disappear around 5:00 pm and that’s when I let the flock out. I think it really comes down to who the predators are and whether the chickens have places to hide - I have too many arial predators and little cover to hide.

Hi
I do let my chickens free range. I have a 2 year old Rooster who is amazing. Whenever there is an overhead predator, he calls out to the girls and they rush to cover. ButI. Also have 10 w eek old chicks who just started going out. They also seem to spend most of the day under cover , ie trailer, or under the fifth wheel, but also stroll out a bit, often more explorative when my roo is in the same area. We have 10 acres but the chickens stay mostly by the house giveaway acre or2

We can't even begin to -- it's gotten to where one or more hawks appear within minutes of us letting them out. That's just us, in our tiny corner of the Blue Ridge Mtns. in North Carolina, alongside a creek. Last summer wasn't like this at all, so we're hoping it will change.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom