Free range unattended?

I’ve been at this address for almost three years. I’ve always had chickens but bot as a big flock as now.

i believe that if I am going to have a flock or any farm animals they should be as happy and be able to do what comes naturally to them. Free ranging is the thing for birds. I think their eggs taste better and they, also taste better although I do not process my layers just some extra cockerels.

In this time I’ve only lost 4 birds. From my observations, this is what I’ve learned:

1. I wait until they are 3-4 months to start free ranging. With supervision. They are heavier and wiser. They are not also babies and will be more alert and learn faster.
2. They definitely need a rooster to protect them and warn them.
3. Make sure that the area were they will free range has a no climb fence between 4-6 feet tall.
4. I provide them with a lot of natural or man made shelters so they run to them when the warning is given.
5. I do keep two to three female guinea hens.
why? They serve as warning guard dogs. As soon as they see a flying bird they scream and all the hens take off in a hurry to hide.
6. I don’t let my flock out of the run/coop combination until around 10-11 am. (I made sure that the run was big enough in case one day I have to keep them in there during the day.). Why? It has been my observation in my area, Dade City, Florida, that predators prefer to hunt early morning. (That’s how I lost one of my guineas and one layer; they were insisting on roosting high of the ground outside the coop, but were hunted while I was still inside the house and they were free ranging in the morning.)
7. I also have one pair of African geese. They also act as warning guards on anyone or anything arriving at the property.
8. The property in one area has a lot of tree coverage. The flock prefers to be in that area usually and it’s hard for flying predators to swoop in and grab one without warning. By the time they perch between the goose, guineas an rooster, they’ve been warned and are hiding!
Yes. I might still loose some occasionally, but for me the trade is watching them going around their business happily around the five acres! It’s priceless. And it’s nature!

Thank you! I know this is a risk and it breaks my heart to think that one of my girls may get attacked. I also want them happy though so I am trying to find the best solution all around. We live in a very rural area with lots of predators so I know it's just a matter of time. I am looking into getting a rooster for help and we do have a dog (not a big help as he only wants to play) but I think I will need to look into that fencing you have. Any way to lessen the risk!
I also use the electric net fencing, it allows us to adjust their area ( we use a solar charger so we can move our fences wherever we need. We also have our goats and horse in the same type of fence.) but protects them pretty well. We only had trouble with hawks as long as they were in the fence. Our rooster fixed most the hawk issue. He lets them know when to run for cover.

Hello all. I have 7 week old chickens that I just started letting free range this weekend. They are doing really well so far but I was wondering if you can leave them unattended while free ranging? My husband and I like to take the UTV out on the trails but not sure if it's ok to leave them out while we're gone? Do people who let their chickens free range run errands and just live life as usual with their chickens loose? Thanks!
I had my chickens in a run and coop, and would let them free range occasionally, until they figured out which door was the fun one to go out! (the one to the outside world) So I started to let them free range without supervision, and I eventually tore down my run and they free range all day, go in the coop at night and I lock them up every night so they are safe.
I also have a few roosters who keep a watch out for predators. I would not feel safe without them there to keep an eye on everyone.
I think with a good rooster your chickens will be fine. But I would not leave them unattended for long periods until a rooster is grown and has shown he watches out for his flock.

As long as you have a good rooster to keep an eye on your flock, you should be fine. Just make sure he makes his call of warning if there is a large bird in the air and something he does not recognize. If he is doing that and the rest of the flock is responding correctly, they will be fine.

Last edited:
Hello all. I have 7 week old chickens that I just started letting free range this weekend. They are doing really well so far but I was wondering if you can leave them unattended while free ranging? My husband and I like to take the UTV out on the trails but not sure if it's ok to leave them out while we're gone? Do people who let their chickens free range run errands and just live life as usual with their chickens loose? Thanks!
I have young chicks and my hens free range during the day but I will not let the little guys out of the secure run until they are much bigger. There are so many predators just waiting for a chance to get the little guys, hawks being the big threat here during the day. So no, my opinion is do not let them free range at this age unless you watch them like a hawk.🙄

I have young chicks and my hens free range during the day but I will not let the little guys out of the secure run until they are much bigger. There are so many predators just waiting for a chance to get the little guys, hawks being the big threat here during the day. So no, my opinion is do not let them free range at this age unless you watch them like a hawk.🙄
We have only a few hens and a large double city lot in a small town. We like to let our hens out to free range (since they were almost a year---not young), but we never leave them out of their enclosed outdoor run if we are shopping or not at home. Our girls let us know when someone is in the yard or threatening, so we can put them in but we do have a lot of flying dangers, raccoons and even a bob cat that goes through our little town at times, so I don't take the chance. They become more of pets quality than food-providers to us.

It’s important to let them free range early on in age to get use to running for cover and watching for predators.
I let mine out with the flock at 7 weeks old they still stick to cover but we have a dense forest their coop backs up against.
only hawks I’ve seen in the yard snatched up a mouse however I have large dogs and frequent the yard often.

I live in a small city where chickens are allowed. I have 4 chickens. The oldest one is 15 weeks the youngest is 9 weeks. The 2 oldest I allow out in my yard part of the day and have and put up multiple areas for them to hide if necessary and they know them all well.
The 2 littlest ones I do not let out unless someone is outside. Yesterday my rooster sounded his alarm and my granddaughter stepped outside and a small hawk was perched on top of our closed umbrella. The chickens were all frozen but safe and secure under the safety methods I gave them. With that being said I know that every time I allow them out of the coop there's a chance of a hawk encounter. So NO! Do Not leave your chicks out!!They are easy pickings for a hawk.

Back
Top Bottom