Free range vs cages

Kirkland1610

Songster
May 20, 2019
Question for my peacock friends. I had peafowl for over 20 years. All my birds were free range, never penned. I never had a single bird get sick. Hens laid their eggs in almost the same places every year and we may have lost some chicks to predators but usually raised most of them. What I want to know why I am seeing all the horror stories about birds getting sick? It appears they are mostly caged birds. Is disease and death more prevalent in caged birds than in free range birds. Does anybody know the answer to that? Sure would like some feedback.
Thanks

The concentrations of cocci, worm eggs, and Blackhead is high in pens. The birds are forced to walk in poo, they clean it off of their feet with their beak. They spill feed onto the ground where they pick it back up and injest the dirt carrying cocci, worm eggs, and blackhead. This is why a deworming is recommended on regular basis.

Free ranging birds are not forced to live in poo, they get to wander about on relatively clean grass and weeds. The chicks are exposed to the natural low level of cocci, worms and blackhead and are less likely to come down sick as they are able to boost the immune system to the cocci and the low levels of worms are not brought forward because of a lower stress level.

IMG_8109.JPG

The concentrations of cocci, worm eggs, and Blackhead is high in pens. The birds are forced to walk in poo, they clean it off of their feet with their beak. They spill feed onto the ground where they pick it back up and injest the dirt carrying cocci, worm eggs, and blackhead. This is why a deworming is recommended on regular basis.

Free ranging birds are not forced to live in poo, they get to wander about on relatively clean grass and weeds. The chicks are exposed to the natural low level of cocci, worms and blackhead and are less likely to come down sick as they are able to boost the immune system to the cocci and the low levels of worms are not brought forward because of a lower stress level.

View attachment 1996477
This is great. Keep sending. I’m trying to convince my niece to free range her birds. They are sick all the time

I don’t see why someone who doesn’t have room to free range would keep a bird the size of a peacock. Seems to be just asking for poor health.
poor health doesn't come from living in a cage. I can't free range because I would take heavy losses from birds wandering off or getting taken by predators. I have way to much money invested to allow that to happen.

I don’t see why someone who doesn’t have room to free range would keep a bird the size of a peacock. Seems to be just asking for poor health.

Small overcrowded bare dirt pens are unhealthy environments and constant medicating is required on a regular schedule. We have found that providing at least 150 square feet of space per bird will allow for an environment that allows grass to grow creating a natural barrier to the dirt below. The grass consumes the poo which also makes the pen cleaner. The birds in large green pens are healthier and more productive.
Grow out pens are a constant balancing act as the chicks grow so fast that they can quickly out grow their area. A close eye must be kept on them to assure that they do not get stressed and parasites take over making them sick.
IMG_8234.JPG

Back
Top Bottom