Free range vs confinement

calmeter

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2017
I'm wondering what the preferred way of keeping chickens is among the seasoned members. I live on a large parcel of land and my husband wants our chickens to free range during the day. At night they get put to bed in their coop. We had a livestock guardian dog for 2 1/2 years and things were pretty quiet around here with predators. Unfortunately my beautiful livestock dog severly MAULED my 12 year old dog. TWICE! (Initially I assumed the old dog had gotten into a fight with a racoon or coyote, but then it happened again and I saw the younger dog attacking him) So we had to have him put down. Now that he is no longer patrolling the property we have lost 14 chickens in two months. We had three roosters and they were all gone in one day. I have seen a coyote in my yard four times, a large red tail hawk has been on the hunt, and today a fox made off with one. It seems logical then that they should have to stay in their coop at all times. How do other members handle problems like this?

I'd rather free range the chooks, iv free ranged my birds before 24/7 before without issue, they could go into there shed/coop anytime they wanted or sleep out under the stars or in a tree. We do have foxes about but none has ever came to eat them, maybe the dog has kept them away or just lucky, or both. Now days they are often locked up at night, but not always. Free ranging is better for them, then being enclosed in an area, but its up to everyone to examine there situation and make arrangements according. Maybe get another guard dog if u can, seeing as ur other one did the job.

I prefer to let the girls out to eat grass... but I have to balance that with being a good mountain citizen and not feeding the wildlife as much as possible.

Based on your description, I'd guess it's probably the same fox coming back again and again. I would probably fox-proof a run, with hot wire if necessary, then keep the birds inside for several weeks or months until that particular fox moves on. Others might say check the rules for shooting foxes in your area, but I like my foxes, so I wouldn't go to that as my first solution. In the meantime I'd look for another dog. My outdoor dog is the only reason I can keep chickens at all in my area. So sorry yours didn't work out!

I prefer to let the girls out to eat grass... but I have to balance that with being a good mountain citizen and not feeding the wildlife as much as possible.

Based on your description, I'd guess it's probably the same fox coming back again and again. I would probably fox-proof a run, with hot wire if necessary, then keep the birds inside for several weeks or months until that particular fox moves on. Others might say check the rules for shooting foxes in your area, but I like my foxes, so I wouldn't go to that as my first solution. In the meantime I'd look for another dog. My outdoor dog is the only reason I can keep chickens at all in my area. So sorry yours didn't work out!
good idea about hot wiring a run for a few weeks. we also have wild pigs that are tearing up parts of the property, so we already have an electric fence put up for them and one around some bee hives for the bears!

I have a routine I am in love with right now. Mine sleep in a coop then during the morning/early afternoon then are in a big, dirt run. Then late afternoon/early evening I free range them till dark. I also have ducks as well. Even in fox season didn’t lose one ( well a few died of old age but that doesn’t count :p ) it works great, they still get about 3-4 sometimes 5 hours of roaming over 5 acres.
But keep in mind I stay outside with them the whole time, since it’s so nice outside that time and I have yard work to do. That’s one of the reasons it works so good.

I have a routine I am in love with right now. Mine sleep in a coop then during the morning/early afternoon then are in a big, dirt run. Then late afternoon/early evening I free range them till dark. I also have ducks as well. Even in fox season didn’t lose one ( well a few died of old age but that doesn’t count :p ) it works great, they still get about 3-4 sometimes 5 hours of roaming over 5 acres.
But keep in mind I stay outside with them the whole time, since it’s so nice outside that time and I have yard work to do. That’s one of the reasons it works so good.
Yes, I feel comfortable having them out when we are outside doing work. Today's fox attack happened at 2:30 in the afternoon while I was in the house with the old dog. I heard a sqwak and looked out the window and saw something run past, and it was a fox! So the fox is ready and waiting at all times of the day and not afraid to come up close to the house.

May I ask what breed dog you have that stays outside? I'm in Florida so it's super hot and muggy right now and the dogs like being in the house. Did you always have your outdoor dog outside? Does it ever come in the house?

I keep my two Flocks in large chain-link kennels covered with tarps and deer netting.
20210510_095524_resized.jpg

Only predator that has gotten in was a Raccoon that climbed the fence and squeezed through the tarp. Fortunately I've only seen them on my cameras at night. I did catch and dispatch it.
I lockup the coops just after sunset.

I do free range, but only for an hour before sunset daily.
Still I lost 2 hens and a 10 months old pullet from March 2020 through March 2021 to 3 different predators. First was a Fox in March, then a Bobcat in June, and the last was a Coopers Hawk last March.
The Fox and Hawk attack was at Sunset, Bobcat was just minutes after I let them out.
I now have my phone alarm set 10 minutes before sunset and watch them as they make their way back to the pens.
After an attack I keep them locked up for a week or two.
I am willing to accept an occasional loss to free range for an hour daily.
I bought 8 chicks this year (I usually get 6), expecting future losses. I currently have 12 chickens, the most I've had in the 5 years I've had them.
Those are the only losses to predators in 5 years, two could've possibly been prevented if I was outside before sunset. GC

May I ask what breed dog you have that stays outside? I'm in Florida so it's super hot and muggy right now and the dogs like being in the house. Did you always have your outdoor dog outside? Does it ever come in the house?

Of course. This is Toula. She's a mutt, but definitely a herding dog mix. We think she has Belgian Groenendael, some border collie or Aussie, and some Lab in her. She comes inside a lot, and even sleeps in our basement sometimes, but she lives outside mostly. She's usually asleep in a pile of dirt, but comes running if she hears the chickens get upset. She's treed the bobcat three times, and barks at hawks and bears, too.

She probably wouldn't like Florida. She loves winter and hates summer.
PXL_20210713_000449600.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom