Free range vs run

Pics
My 7 chickens have their own 800sq ft fenced yard in my 1 acre yard, however I open their gate and let them roam the entire acre daily. I call that free ranging. I have numerous plants, wild flowers and grass for a yard and they love the "buffett" .

Hey all,
I just wanted opinions on how you keep your chickens, I free range mine but was wondering what your opinions were on it. I had an accident with a weasle/mink yesterday and I'm weighing my options if I should turn to a run rather than free range. What are your thoughts?
Mine have a fully enclosed dog kennel run and a very large fenced "yard". But we have these 2 loose to guard against predators too.
Hey all,
I just wanted opinions on how you keep your chickens, I free range mine but was wondering what your opinions were on it. I had an accident with a weasle/mink yesterday and I'm weighing my options if I should turn to a run rather than free range. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1617150707003.jpg
    FB_IMG_1617150707003.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1617150719184.jpg
    FB_IMG_1617150719184.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0
the best question.... what defines “free range?”... considering...it depends on the number of birds per acre...or fraction of acre.

how do we define this? one chicken on a 1/4 acre is the same as 4 on one acre....but 4 on a 1/4 acre is not. what’s the common ground on the free range term?

the best question.... what defines “free range?”... considering...it depends on the number of birds per acre...or fraction of acre.

how do we define this? one chicken on a 1/4 acre is the same as 4 on one acre....but 4 on a 1/4 acre is not. what’s the common ground on the free range term?
Generally free range here isn't the same as food production wise. Usually here it is where the bird is physically unrestrained throughout the owners property and at risk of predators (not saying it's a bad thing, just what I've seen as a pattern here)

Most people range during daylight and some free range 24/7/365 and some dont free range at all.

I personally do all three with my flocks. Some ard confined, one is allowed out during the day and one doeant get locked up ever

Back
Top Bottom