Free range with a swimming pool

I'll tell you what I've read here. They will avoid the pool. The only real problem would be if they were startled and flew or ran into the pool. Even then, they would probably be OK if they could climb out, but this would of course be a challenge in most in ground pools. They can swim for a bit, but when their feathers become waterlogged, they will sink and drown.

Hey I haven't seen anyway that it will work with out the possibility of an issue like that. We also are surrounded by woods so Free ranging my chicks is just a dream. LOL

they will avoid the pool if they can - they are not ducks & will sink like a rock if they fall in. You can free range in the woods - I do - they spend all day in the woods at my house when it's really hot out. The thing is the raccoons come out at night, opossum too - so make sure to lock them in at night - but the woods are fine during the day.

They will probably poop all over the deck around the pool though - maybe put up a small netting fence?

My mom lost a chicken to drowning in one of those large plastic above ground pools. I suspect it tried to perch on the edge and fell in and couldn't get back out.

Last edited:
Well maybe if it was small woods but it's like the 100acer woods and I'm just not comfortable with that right now or the pool so we will continue with the numice big pen they have. LOL don't want to lose one to drowning either. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom