• Yes but only for a limited amount of time

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

Spicegirlfam

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
California
Hi,
I live In the Oakland hills CA and i was wondering if I could free range my chickens for most of the day? I currently have 5 chickens 1 rooster. We have been letting them outside these past few days and are not always watching. so should I let my chickens free-range???:confused:

Um...it just depends...i let mine out, but only when i'm watching cause i don't have a fence, and there are lots of predators around. So if you think you are safe from predators, neighbors dogs, and peoples cars, i might, it also helps if you have a fence ;) Hope this helps!!

Hi,
I live In the Oakland hills CA and i was wondering if I could free range my chickens for most of the day? I currently have 5 chickens 1 rooster. We have been letting them outside these past few days and are not always watching. so should I let my chickens free-range???:confused:
I took baby steps with ours. We have a lot of hawks in area, all our neighbors have chickens - so they aren’t going anywhere.
I would let them out at varying times for 30 minutes, then and hour and so on. In the beginning, I stayed out most of the time. After noticing way less hawks after about 2-3 PM and baby stepping it, ai let them out usually by 3 PM and then go down right before dark to look them up - they are always already roosting in coop by then.
We are near Atlanta in GA.

I think it depends on you’re emotional attachment to your flock! I had 9 buckeyes that I loved but accepted the fact that I was risking them getting killed in order to give them the happiness and benefits of free ranging. Someone’s dog who was visiting from states away killed 6 of them unfortunately and it was pretty upsetting. I’m letting the remaining 3 free range for now but when my 12 new chicks join the flock they will all be in a giant field type of run fenced in because I get emotionally attached my birds!

I got my chicks in April. I made the mistake of getting older chicks (because they were on sale) with day old chicks.
My coop is a converted shed. I have a few large trees around it, making it difficult for hawks to pounce (there are a few around here).
I put up a small fence around the front of the coop so the chicks could come out slowly. The hard part was keeping the larger chicks separated from the smaller ones.
Once the small ones started getting curious I would have to push the larger ones into the yard. They didn’t like it to much, but I made a lean to for them. They stayed close to the coop. I just took down the fence about two weeks ago so they can all go out at once now. It still took a while to keep the big chicks from being bullies. The big ones are a bit lazier and not as agile as the smaller ones (they are different breeds) and liked to hang around the coop and around the food and water. They’re getting better though.
They are exploring farther every day and I don’t worry about them as much. They still stay close to the coop but we have a lot of trees for them to hide under. Unfortunately they are starting to migrate to the front porch. I don’t mind them cleaning up the area and under the porch, but the are coming on to the porch now.
I want my birds to free range, but it’s your choice what you want to do. I know the dangers of free ranging and I accept the consequences. I lost two chicks in a few days but that was because my cats got out.

There are also moveable chicken cages you can buy or make so you can let your chickens roam in a controlled environment. There are options out there. It depends on your environment, how much land you have and how much you have to spend.

I didn’t cast a vote because I can’t tell you what’s best for your situation.

I agree with @LynninTN, I can only tell you what we do, but what works for us may be a terrible choice for you. We are in SE MO, very isolated, with a light predator load. Our chooks have a large fenced run with plenty of forage and would be fine in there all day. But we got them for tick control, so we turn them out every afternoon about 3:00. We also have a couple of Shelties, the elder of whom has been known to chase away three coyotes on her own. We just don't lose many to predators so this works for us. Good luck making the best decision for your situation!

how much does the situation change of you have a rooster?? Thanks😃. some pics for fun!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom