Free rage??? Or not

• Yes you should

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No you shouldn’t

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but only for a limited amount of time

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
I might be the only person in the whole world who lives on a big farm, and wont free range my birds. I've lost 2 roosters to predators, and that was in (well, we thought it was) a secure run! The couple across the road had a flock of about 40 birds... lost every one of them to predators in one summer. Welcome to B.F.E. Ohio! We have it all! Even bald eagles! So here, we have about 75 ft of tunnels that connect different areas for them to forage. Under the daughters trampoline, a 5x9 grazing pen.... or just tunnels that run where we want weeds knocked down. They work great! My flock love them... and the feel safe! I'm not going to say they dont sprint the 30ft to the trampoline... but they do it. And Im not constantly on edge about predators! Now, they are not available to run the tunnels if I'm not home... but they still have a nice grassy run they can come out in. It's the only way I can do it, and sleep at night.

Hi there! Just wanted to say hello, as we are are in the same neighborhood.

In addition to all of the predators you've already mentioned - we also have fox, skunk, raccoon, voles, owls, and lots of feral cats. Depending on where you are in the canyon, there are also bigger wild cats. Obviously not all of these are out hunting during the day, but you'll want to be aware that they are here.

I've noticed that most of my neighbors who have birds either have fully enclosed (including the top) runs, or if they do let their birds free range, that they are fenced in and enclosed at the top by tree cover.

I know this post is a few months old, but wanted to chime in and see how things have been going for you? Are you still free ranging your birds?

I'm new to chicken-keeping and just now building my (fully enclosed!) coop and run for my birdies, which are being hatched next week.

Hi there! Just wanted to say hello, as we are are in the same neighborhood.

In addition to all of the predators you've already mentioned - we also have fox, skunk, raccoon, voles, owls, and lots of feral cats. Depending on where you are in the canyon, there are also bigger wild cats. Obviously not all of these are out hunting during the day, but you'll want to be aware that they are here.

I've noticed that most of my neighbors who have birds either have fully enclosed (including the top) runs, or if they do let their birds free range, that they are fenced in and enclosed at the top by tree cover.

I know this post is a few months old, but wanted to chime in and see how things have been going for you? Are you still free ranging your birds?

I'm new to chicken-keeping and just now building my (fully enclosed!) coop and run for my birdies, which are being hatched next week.

PS - re: your Roo...are you planning to keep him and just hope your neighbors don't complain? Just curious =)

Back
Top Bottom