Free Rangers wont Range

I too agree with Flyman. We were losing one chicken every 2-3 weeks until we locked ours up. They've been locked up for probably 5-6 months, and we still see coyotes once a week just to see if they might be out. When we're outside with the chickens, it's not a problem. But for some reason, mid-morning and mid-afternoon seem to be the worst times. Don't ask me, I thought the stinking blankedy-blank creatures were only supposed to come out at night, but they don't here!

I'm going to build them an enclosed, fortified run tomorrow that they'll have access to from their coop. I figure I'll just keep them in there, then let them go in the backyard when they get bigger. I don't imagine much is going to bother them in my urban back yard when they're full grown. Has anyone had owls and hawks get their full grown chickens? The man I bought them from said he's never had problems with hawks and owls before with his full grown girls.

-Dylan

give her time an she will go out again.chickens remember attacks.an it takes them a while to get over them.an when they do theyll start freeranging again.

Dylan,

It may help your little flock if you put other things that they can be under while they begin to explor the backyard. Perhaps you can set up a few bushy branches over a couple of boards, or an old chair. Anything that will help the girls feel more secure would be helpful.
I would also put some tempting food about....
smile.png

But I'd be very careful about predators.

Good luck, and remember that they are just babies.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom