1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free ranges,and hawks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenwoods, Jul 18, 2007.

1. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    I've never had much problesm with hawks,but can a hawk take down a full grown hen??I have seen hawks try to attack my roo and he Shakes his feather and wings really violently and the hawk looses..Will a hen do that or will she get killed.

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Depends on the type of hawk. She will try to shake free the same as the roo.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

My experience with hawks and owls eating my chickens ( which is a lot) has been if they can't pick up the whole bird, they will pull their heads off and eat that. I've found quite a few headless chickens out in the yard over the years.

4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    My observations with hawk attacks is they slam down into the prey animal, leading with their talons. The prey animal gets slammed into the ground, and skewered. When hit this way, the prey animal frequently does not survive.

Now if the hawk attempts a swoop and lift, something I see done on snakes and the like, the prey animal is much more likely to survive, especially something like a chicken. This is because the hawk does not impale the prey animal with its talons as deeply as they do when they slam the prey animal. A chicken gets a double respite owing to its mass apparently fooling the hawk about how deeply it has to place its talons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by