Free ranging and chicken hawks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by J99, Aug 15, 2019.

1. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    You really have a beautiful area that the chickens would love to roam in. Would you be able to build some chicken tunnels just using 2x2 pieces of wood and chicken wire? You could just build them 2 or 3 foot high and zip tie them together when you move them. That way they wouldn’t be too heavy to drag around. You could connect them together and move them around your property. They would just be good coverage for hawks if that’s what you are worried about. Well trained dogs roaming around also would help against the other predators.

Stockpilejoy and Aunt Angus like this.
  2. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I'm sorry about Nellie and Mable...
    :hugs

Great point about the fence! My chickens are in a fenced area of my yard, too, for that same reason (and to keep them from wandering into neighbors' gardens...).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  3. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 Songster

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    my silkies and bantams are totally penned up, but my 17 hens dont have a roof covering them, only in their coop where they roost at night..i see some hawks i think in some nearby trees,,,but they dont seem to bother the girls....oh dear i sure hope not...they free range all day

Aunt Angus likes this.
  4. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I'd try to figure out what kind of hawks they are, honestly, if for no other reason than to give you peace of mind. They might not even be hawks. The PITA Cooper's hawk I've got hanging around is about the size if a crow! He's gorgeous, but I hate him at the moment.

5. Mbrady71

Mbrady71 Chirping

Mar 25, 2019
    My husband built me a mobile run. He tacked lightweight metal tubes he had in barn and zip tied chicken fence around it.a handle in front to lift and pull. Old wheels on back. Latice on top to break the sun. I move them about the yard. I am also in a high preditor area. They know when it's time to go out. One by one they hop up and wait for me to carry them to the cart. At bed time we do the same process. They are getting trained to even jump up on my arm to go. I sit in a chair when I let them free range they dont go far from me. It has taken time to build their trust in me. I have been home sick since they were babies (march 2019),daily interaction with them and lots of treats built the bond of trust. They are more pets then barn birds.

6. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    mine are my pets too.....love them all

Stockpilejoy and Aunt Angus like this.
  7. Chercher72

Chercher72 In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2018
    I have guineas that run with my chickens so they let me know when a predator is around.

8. JessaDee

JessaDee Songster

Mar 20, 2013
    Once a hawk knows there is a free buffet, they won’t stop. I found out the hard way this week. I lost five in as many days. I’ve had my chickens free ranging in my back yard for two years with no problems until a few days ago. I caught it just sitting in the middle of my yard eating one of my polish pullets. Needless to say, I was heartbroken. I went immediately to Home Depot and purchased bird netting. I put it over a fenced in area of the yard and it hasn’t bothered them since.

J99 likes this.
  9. JessaDee

JessaDee Songster

Mar 20, 2013
    You must live near me @Chicken Heel. I’m in Chesapeake, and we have hawks and bald eagles. I also have an owl that lives in the woods next to the house. The owl has never bothered them though.

Wee Farmer Sarah likes this.
  10. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    so sorry, i have had my chickens for 1 and 1/2 years, and never a problem with hawks, but i do see them sometimes flying overhead....i pray every day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: