free ranging and neighbors flock

chickengirl1193

Songster
6 Years
Oct 12, 2013
north Jersey
hello!
I have 4 hens that I want to start free ranging on my property but I'm a bit apprehensive because my neighbors flock of about 18 hens and roosters sometimes wanders onto my property so I'm not sure if they will end up overlapping where they are foraging. their flock seems to be in good health but I dont want my hens to accidentally be exposed to their roosters. any suggestions on how I can keep them sepparate? im considering putting up an electric fence for my goats which may keep them apart.

The only way you could possibly keep them separate would be to put up some kind of fence on your property line. You wouldn't want to introduce and illnesses that your neighbors chickens may carry but are immune to, and you don't want your chickens are their's to start fighting.

Yeah. until I put up a fence i will probably just let mine free range while I'm watching and the other flock isn't near my property. for the most part they only come to the edge of my property that is opposite my coop but every once in a while they get pretty far. would an electric fence contain them?

Yeah. until I put up a fence i will probably just let mine free range while I'm watching and the other flock isn't near my property. for the most part they only come to the edge of my property that is opposite my coop but every once in a while they get pretty far. would an electric fence contain them?

and what if they forage on an area where the other flock was previously in the day, can disease be spread that way?

I don't think so. I think they have to come in physical contact with the other birds or be in a area that the other chickens spend a large amount of time in. (such as their coop or around it) An electric fence would contain them, but it depends on how close the fence sits to the ground. If it is anything like the fence you would use for cattle or horses, a chicken would just walk right under it.

Some deseases can be spread by fecal contamination. I would also worry about about worms and other parasites that are spread by the droppings of infected fowl. My mother has a big feral cat problem in her area (i.e. tape worms galore!) and now she has to treat her flock because they free range in the same area.

I would put up a fence to keep the neighbors birds out. I wouldn't want to take the chance on my flock. To answer your question about electric fence, yes it will contain them and goats too if the fence is "hot" enough and has a good ground. I use the net fence from FarmTek and love it, I've had it for 3 years now.

Last edited:
Okay thank you so much! Yeah I am looking for an inexpensive way to fence in a large area just for grazing, and then lock the animals up in the 6 ft fence at night. would the net fence be strong enough for goats too? I only have 2 Nigerian dwarf doelings

The net fence I got from FarmTek is the Poultry/Goat Net 42" x 165' Black/White

I have two of them and at 165' long each, combined they make a huge area for the chickens, I've had 100+ out there and I just have to move it every month.
I am sure it will contain any non-wild goat if it is properly charged and grounded. That fence has the smaller holes at the bottom so even baby chicks cannot walk through it (but if it's off they might be able to squeeze). Now it's only 42" tall so the flighty ones might try to fly over it if you haven't clipped their flight feathers. I've only had to trim a couple uppity juveniles that figured out they could fly over.

I am just adding however that they are not "cheap" at $196 each. But I consider it a good investment and couldn't have my flock without them.

Last edited:
Okay thanks! it is easily moved every month? because I was looking for effective temporary fencing for my goats and chickens and neither one of them ever try to escape. thanks a lot for the info!

I can easily move it by myself. It takes me about 1/2 hour to put it up, move the charger, and pound the grounding rod into the ground. If the soil is really dry, it will take longer because I have to use a hammer to pound the posts in the ground. I did go out and buy about 14 step in fence posts from tsc. They are 3.99 each but they keep the fence from sagging and secured to the ground so predators can't go underneath.

Back
Top Bottom