Free ranging and returning home

spymeg

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2021
We have 5 chickens that have a 20 x 30 pen with a big house inside. They've spent their first year inside and we're thinking about letting them free range. We have 30 fenced acres. If we open the pen doors so they can go out, will they return home each night?

I would generally say, yes, they will. HOWEVER, I spent a good deal of time tonight trying to lure, persuade and chase my last hen into her coop. Most of the girls, most of the time are perfectly willing to go inside at the end of the day. But, I was fairly frantic when Vanna couldn't be found and everyone else was in the coop. I discovered she could, indeed, hear me and see them. She just didn't feel like going to bed. She not the first stubborn hen, and I'm sure she won't be the last.

I would generally say, yes, they will. HOWEVER, I spent a good deal of time tonight trying to lure, persuade and chase my last hen into her coop. Most of the girls, most of the time are perfectly willing to go inside at the end of the day. But, I was fairly frantic when Vanna couldn't be found and everyone else was in the coop. I discovered she could, indeed, hear me and see them. She just didn't feel like going to bed. She not the first stubborn hen, and I'm sure she won't be the last.

Our Latte did this to me last night, darting away at every opportunity. Stinkerpot.

Back
Top Bottom