Free Ranging... Bok bok and bark barks, baby boy to boot

SillyChicky

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 7, 2010
I haven't been here in a while, just don't have the time, so I figure now that my birds are all grown up I should post some fun pics of us free ranging. It took a few days of their coop being open for them to really come out, but now they come running after me when I open their door in the mornings.

Their coop is behind the barn here. I plan on using some of these broken rabbit hutches as brooding boxes. I removed their old giant nesting box none of them liked. Note the dogs keeping distance (the yellow one really doesn't like the rooster and will babysit my boy when he's out there :)

A safe distance, I try and act like the chickens aren't a big deal so he doesn't get overexcited when they are out and try to pet them (which means chasing them lol)

The whites are Columbian Wyandottes, the brown and black are Ameraucana mutts. (sold to me as Silver Laced Wyandotte females lol)

I named her Fuzzface... Nathan is trying to give her things he finds, just like he gives the dogs sticks often.

Doing what he does best, I hope he enjoys it here while it lasts because he's coming to the auction with us in a few weeks. I giggle at the Wyandotte butts when they are scratching around. They look like elaborate petticoats lol.

Bad hair day.

Keeping close watch of his harem. Which is why I have to teach the boy not to chase the chickens. The yellow lab mix will have rooster for supper if he goes after 'her' boy. She goes after him when he mounts the hens too. Very much doesn't like the aggressive behavior he displays as a roo.

I am picking up some Black Copper Marans chicks on thursday and eventually would like to breed the best ones. Two roos would be too much for me right now, so this one has got to go. Will probably make a great easter egger producer. He's a nicely built bird, very fertile and active as well.

Back
Top Bottom