Free ranging ducks

EngeFamilyFarms

Chirping
Aug 29, 2018
Michigan
hi there, we have 7 chickens and 3 khaki Campbell’s, a male and two females. We are ordering 18 more chickens and want to free range starting this summer but I’m worried the ducks won’t come back. There is an acre pond behind my house and I’m worried they won’t want to come back to their pool. Anybody have experience with this? We have a ton of hawks and raccoons, will they be able to survive or is that asking for trouble? Thanks for the advice!

There is always the possibility that they may not want to return, but they can generally be controlled with feed. If the pond is large enough they will probably be safe from raccoons, fox, coyotes, but mink and birds of prey may still be a problem. Any time fowl are free ranged there is the possibility of predation.

There is a possibility they chose not to come back, theres a possibility they chose to leave for the days and only come home at night and theres the rare possibility they don't want to leave at all. Usually they know to return to where they are fed. However free range will always result in (over time) a few losses. At least one of your birds won't make it home one day and you'll have to be ready to face some losses. However, some people say they have the happiest ducks in the world and they'd rather dir free ranging than to live in a coop. It a topic similar to breast feeding or bottle feeding a baby. It's all personal choice and what works. There is no right or wrong. What you feel is best for your birds is the right choice, however remember you do have predators nearby so it is asking for some kind of invitation for trouble at SOME point in time. Losses could be very, very minimal and maybe only happen once ever, or they could be huge and right away. Do you have neighbors that free range? That's always a good way to judge the safety level of your area.

. Do you have neighbors that free range? That's always a good way to judge the safety level of your area.

Good point but i will say areas change, speaking from experience here.. i ran a huge flock even their young then things changed in my area and my losses increased horribly.

Guess the point i am trying to get at is, things don't always remain the same even if in the past it was relatively "okay"

Back
Top Bottom