Free Ranging Flock Question???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Up-the-Creek, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    I have had chickens for about a year now. They never have been let out till here recently in the last few weeks. Since they have been turned out they have looked so much better. Also I have noticed they have had some really runny toxic looking poo [​IMG] , and they poo a lot more now. Is this because of their diet change or should I worry about it being something else? Other than that as I said they look real good,bright red combs, bright eyes, generally very healthy appearance. Its AMAZING what free ranging does for them. Maybe I worry too much? [​IMG]

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    They are very likely eating grass, leaves, dirt, worms, bugs, and many other things that only chickens eat when free ranging. I wouldn't worry about them at all. Chickens are creatures of instinct, and they know what to eat without having to think about it. They are true omnivores, and will eat meat with relish. Those who think that chickens should eat only plant-based feeds are short-changing their birds of natural amino acids and other essential minerals and vitamins that they would be getting if free-ranging. Good luck with your happy birds!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  4. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    I am not sure what the weather has been like where you live, but here in my part of Texas it has been warm for awhile. Once it warmed up and the bugs began to really come out, I noticed the poo in the coop was really raunchy. I chalked it up to an increase in protien. Hand down, I believe chickens are so much happier and healthier free ranging. Plus, it is so much easier to raise them that way.[​IMG]

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I agree with other members. do not worry about it. [​IMG]

6. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Thank you all for your answers! [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. Not to worry.

8. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I've been free ranging mine even with snow on the ground but as long as its sunny. They love it though the guineas would rather sit in the trees than walk on the snow. They've had all kinds of funny looking poo but seem to be doing great.

Yours should love it, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by