Free ranging for first time

Quote:
x2 works everytime!

X3
wink.png
thumbsup.gif
jumpy.gif

Like everyone else said, try it close to dusk the first time. My suggestion is teach them a call (I use the side mouth click you usually hear people with horses use, that sound travels very far). I always used my call from day one when giving scratch or treats so they know that noise is something they want to run to. Now I let them out and they do their thing, I do mine, if I look outside and don't hear or see them (they like to Jailbreak into the cattle field upon occasion) I stand on my porch and call them, works every time. If I unexpectedly have to leave after letting them out I trot myself on back to their coop, stand inside and call them in... They have a full acre to play in, plus a few spots on the other side of the fence, and I know when the boss says its time for his girls to got to bed they all walk two by two behind him until they are at the foot of the steps, where he waits until everyone is inside before entering. Once I see him standing on the top step just outside the door I know everyone is in and its time to close up shop (and head count of coarse).

I have one girl who is not easily tricked with the treats in the coop. She sits just out of arms reach looking at you like "hey I'm not stupid and I am not ready for bed" It then takes several circles around the coop to catch her and put her in. Now if I leave them out till dusk they all go in on their own.

When I first got mine I herded them around the yard using a 6 foot bamboo pole,and also did a bit of *peep peep* talk.A few treats wouldn't hurt either.

I agree with flowergirl60 all we have to do with our girls is go out to the garage where we keep the scratch grain and they come flying to get back in their pen cause they know the
treat is on it's way. Sometimes a little rattling of the can helps those that are out of sight, like around the trees or under the porch, but they really LOVE that scratch .

the biggest problem we face is not stepping on them on the way back to the run..... just like children, always under foot.

Back
Top Bottom