free ranging in back yard Q?

Lol I tried wing clipping to, decided not to bother. Mine must feel pretty secure in my yard, that's the only thing I can think of. I was just out looking at them, they come running every time lol. Just gave them some tomatoes I grew, all organic and more then I have ever grown before! They got my strawberries darn it.

i have a small flock, big back yard. the girls were chosing to lay their eggs where they liked, not where i liked. so i've taken to locking them in their run until about noon. by then all eggs are properly laid in the nest boxes & i let them out to play in the yard.
i still want to secure the run more because when we're gone, or for whatever reason, i want to have confidence they are in the run where they are safer.
they're pretty tough on plant roots where i have watered. i live in Texas & it's so hot & dry & they love the moist earth - but most of my plantings are mature enough to handle their rough treatment.

My little experiment failed to a point. While a couple of the birds still got out, they still only ventured out in that one spot of the fence. I'm going to try the floppy theory and put some string up loosely. I think I'll cook them all when I get back from vacation if I find my iris garden completely tore up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom