Free ranging in snow?

I was fortunate the ice in front of the run door was thin, and broke easily. IDK how I am going to get it open when we get more snow (like tomorrow morning!). I do have another way to get to the food/water so they will be okay. I really need to think of a way to open the door though. Any ideas?

I guess I'd have to see a picture to understand exactly where this ice is and how it formed. Snow melting off the coop roof? But, as a general suggestion: Is it possible to put something sturdy like a piece of plywood down that the ice can form on that you can then pick up? Maybe even lean it from the ground to the coop wall over the door so that anything that hits it will slide away from the door. If it is likely to be a recurring problem, you might need a short roof over the door or something on the coop roof to divert the melting snow (if that is what caused the problem).

I'm sitting here recovering from a broken leg and busted knee worried if my birds would freeze their first winter since they won't roost inside of the coop at all, just lay eggs only. Mind you there's straw and a roost in there too!
Well I'm relieved to say they'll be okay, they stayed roosted on a perch in the run all morning through the wind and drifting snow until a few minutes ago. One girl had been in the coop laying and once she was done, she flew out hit the snow and the rest along with my rooster followed her and they're all scratching around as normal, guess they had to study the snow first.
Now I need to study how to get some feed, straw and fresh water to them without busting my butt!!!

Speedy recovery Ron!

As far as where they roost. If they need to learn to roost in the coop (which is generally safer unless you have the Fort Knox of runs), throw some scratch or BOSS in there just before bed time. When they all run in to stuff their faces, slam the door jailor!
big_smile.png

It was apparently really windy today. My wife said she told the chickens to go in (like they listen or even understand) but I guess she scared them or something and they all started running for the barn. Except they were "crabbing". The wind was blowing them sideways as they ran
gig.gif
Wish I'd been there to see it.

I don't remember which thread talked about what breeds you shouldn't have if it gets cold and you have snow. Cubalayas were specifically mentioned since they originated in Cuba.
Here is proof that you can't have Cubalayas in the cold snow
lau.gif

Fae with the Faverolles
and Peep

Those girls like to be outside, plain and simple.

Bruce

My car door freezes shut, making it necessary to crawl through the hatch (one time in paw print PJ's and leopard slippers! NOT pretty, folks!). A mix of warm water and salt would do but that could be clumsy. With the car, I've used the claw part of a hammer to pry it open. Or you could try a chisel or something similar, and a hammer. There are many spray de-icers on the market that may work for you.

Mimi
Nashua, NH

I think I'd throw a plastic tarp over the car so the doors could not freeze shut rather than bash the ice with a claw hammer
wink.png

One thing that I found works for car windows is to get them all the way up, then down JUST a little. Not enough to open even a crack, just enough to pull the gasket down a little bit. You can break the ice by closing the window since it pulls gasket up and cracks the ice. If the window is all the way up, it won't go down because the ice is stuck to both it and the gasket and the gasket won't flex down.

Bruce

I have also heard of frot bite on the chickens feet, I my self keep tarps over and around there run, Blocks rain... Snow... And wind, works great

I have also heard of frost bite on the chickens feet, I my self keep tarps over and around there run, Blocks rain... Snow... And wind, works great

I was fortunate the ice in front of the run door was thin, and broke easily. IDK how I am going to get it open when we get more snow (like tomorrow morning!). I do have another way to get to the food/water so they will be okay. I really need to think of a way to open the door though. Any ideas?
I guess I'd have to see a picture to understand exactly where this ice is and how it formed. Snow melting off the coop roof? But, as a general suggestion: Is it possible to put something sturdy like a piece of plywood down that the ice can form on that you can then pick up? Maybe even lean it from the ground to the coop wall over the door so that anything that hits it will slide away from the door. If it is likely to be a recurring problem, you might need a short roof over the door or something on the coop roof to divert the melting snow (if that is what caused the problem).
I'm sitting here recovering from a broken leg and busted knee worried if my birds would freeze their first winter since they won't roost inside of the coop at all, just lay eggs only. Mind you there's straw and a roost in there too! Well I'm relieved to say they'll be okay, they stayed roosted on a perch in the run all morning through the wind and drifting snow until a few minutes ago. One girl had been in the coop laying and once she was done, she flew out hit the snow and the rest along with my rooster followed her and they're all scratching around as normal, guess they had to study the snow first. Now I need to study how to get some feed, straw and fresh water to them without busting my butt!!!
Speedy recovery Ron! As far as where they roost. If they need to learn to roost in the coop (which is generally safer unless you have the Fort Knox of runs), throw some scratch or BOSS in there just before bed time. When they all run in to stuff their faces, slam the door jailor! :D It was apparently really windy today. My wife said she told the chickens to go in (like they listen or even understand) but I guess she scared them or something and they all started running for the barn. Except they were "crabbing". The wind was blowing them sideways as they ran :gig Wish I'd been there to see it. I don't remember which thread talked about what breeds you shouldn't have if it gets cold and you have snow. Cubalayas were specifically mentioned since they originated in Cuba. Here is proof that you can't have Cubalayas in the cold snow :lau Fae with the Faverolles and Peep Those girls like to be outside, plain and simple. Bruce

Good grief! Stupid phone.
Bruce, the ice is from an ice storm. Not melting snow. Right now the snow is a few inches deep. IDK what I will do about letting them out with a foot or so of heavy snow and /or ice blocking the run door. A large piece of plywood leaning against the door might work. As long as it doesn't blow away in a strong wind!

I am loving this thread! Up here in southeast, we started getting snow before thanksgiving and now we've got several feet built up, mostly frozen. I don't think the "sweeping" snow away is gonna work :p I'm trying to decide if I should just build a run around and against my house, since that's the only place in winter where the snow isn't piled up....lol

Forgive me. I've not posted before so this doesn't have to do with what you've been discussing but I have a question that I'd like to see if you could help with. One of my chickes is molting. It's the coldest day of the year so far and that worries me. Secondly, do they molt separately or all at the same time. I've only have one other one molt and that was uqite some time ago. Any info. you have would help. Thanks.

My car door freezes shut, making it necessary to crawl through the hatch (one time in paw print PJ's and leopard slippers! NOT pretty, folks!). A mix of warm water and salt would do but that could be clumsy. With the car, I've used the claw part of a hammer to pry it open. Or you could try a chisel or something similar, and a hammer. There are many spray de-icers on the market that may work for you.
I am so not a winter fan and would stay in the whole season if I could!

Mimi
Nashua, NH

Coat your gaskets with silicone or petroleum jelly so they don't stick together? That won't help the ice storm scenario!

Back
Top Bottom