Free ranging in snow?

mine were out in the deep snow the ducks went first and then the houdans group went out not many of my big ones but some went out one already has frostbite on his comb .. power keeps going out here its really annoying
My Houdans go out too. Probably some of the only ones that do.

Lots of snow today Jason!! Hope your mom is home and not driving on these terrible roads. It's really bad.

My 16 girls (and one roo) were hatched on May 1st this year. Each afternoon when I get home form work I've let them out for an hour or so of supervised free-ranging. They wait by the inner door to the coop, I open the outer door first, stand in the "hallway" and open the inner door. There then comes a tsunami of chickens making a break for the outside. The coop empties in under 2 seconds. We just had our first snow a couple of weeks ago; THAT day was different.

The girls were their usual excited selves envisioning an afternoon of dust-bathing, scratch and treats. I opened the inner door and the wave rolled out as usual......UNTIL.... the first half of the flock RAPIDLY decided that snow on chicken feet was not for them and immediately made a 180 and charged back INTO the coop with the same vigor as they had previously exited.. The half who were at the end of the out-going wave met the head on the in-coming wave mid doorway. The resultant clash of forces formed a wave of wings, feathers, feet, and frenzy that crested at a height of several feet, and resulted in overturned farm implements, water buckets, and grain tubs. Several scattered into the trees, but despite some loss of feathers most managed to regain an upright position within the coop. After dark, and with some coaxing, the remaining revelers were returned to the roost. Since that time, the speed rate of the outgoing wave had diminished greatly. The term "snowbird" was apparently not coined to describe chickens.
Just the idea of a tsunami of chickens, a term that seems to describe them so well, had me laughing so hard I was crying and I had to dry my eyes in order to read the rest of the story. Then, the feathered forces meeting mid door started me up all over again. Thanks for the laugh.

I have had my chickens free range in snow but it get so cold and dark here in Montana its not a real good idea unless you can control predators. I lost several in a few days. Never lost one during the dryer months. So I keep them penned in a large area now and only free range a few months out of the year

Today, my girls who are less than a year old saw thier first snow. 3 of them look a bit sceptical. My plan is to open the front door on days that are reasonably warm (20's+) and let them decide. We are supposed to 12 inches of snow tonight so tommorrow should be any adventure!

mine were out in the deep snow the ducks went first and then the houdans group went out not many of my big ones but some went out one already has frostbite on his comb .. power keeps going out here its really annoying
rub vasoline on their combs it will help to prevent frostbite. ( dont be shy with the vasoline!!!)

Our chicks who are not a year old yet hesitated with our 1st heavy frost here in MD. We have had no snow yet. We have a tarp on the roof, but plan on tarping the 2 sides to.

i live in florida and the only time i member it snowing is back in 89 and i would love to see my flock in some snow but not dwn here where it dont get under 30 degrees. ur girls are beautiful by the way.

Ours weren't too sure for the first day or so, but I finally coaxed them out with some scratch.

Your chickens are all so beautiful!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom