Free ranging peacocks?

Ok good to know our neighbours are not close to our house and we are very far from a highway our friend have free ranging peacocks and they do great so they should be ok
A factor in the aggression of that particular bird could have been that he was raised as a single bird from hatching and had imprinted on people and had no fear of people. He was as aggressive as any of the worst roosters I’ve seen.
We had a couple peahens and a peacock a few years prior. That male never did try to flog anybody like the other one did, but would still get in front of me and fan out it’s tale feathers as if it were strutting. As a small child that was pretty intimidating. So if there are small children around I would be cautious of the male peafowls.

I would just say never free range a bird that you aren't prepared to lose. White's, pieds, silver pieds, and blackshoulders tend to be easy targets for predators especially the hens when sitting on nests. If you live near woodland they also might wander off and never come back due to getting turned around in the woods. They're not very smart birds and are often stupidly accident prone.

Back
Top Bottom