Free ranging predator protection

afre96

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
I am going to free range my chickens on my hill and use either eletric poultry fence or a 9 foot tall home make fence made with hardware cloth. I can handle the ground predators (my brother is an avid coon and opossum hunter, we also have a mangy fox around and my outside cat) The MAIN thing is the hawks nest right over the coop
somad.gif
. I need to know how to cover the top somehow. I could buy aviary netting but I don't know what size to get and the price is through the roof. I heard you can use fishing line and lay hand held mirrors around the area. I am also getting a barred holland roo and leghorn roo so that might help a lot. My friend told me peacocks will scare them away with their huge feather display IDK Please help

I have my chickens in a coop that was made by someone down the road from me and I also have a extended yard for them....I used chicken wire and an old tarp. So far so good. We also have a peacock and really don't think he helps....LOL. He is just to dopey......

Generally, hawks nesting in close proximity to you birds will not be a threat. Close is within 100 yards.

Try deer netting like used to protect fruit trees. If properly placed and attached hawks will bounce of it. If a hawk does push it, then be prepared to extricate the bugger because they do get tangled in it and allowing them to get out themselves can cause damage to hawk and netting. Such will last two, possibly three seasons while bird netting last only one and can tear if psycho red-tailed hawk tries to dive through it.

the hawks nest is directly over where the coop is supposed to go.

Red-tail is a concern but an active nest below where you go each day not typical. Did the hawks fledge chicks? Should have been done within last few weeks. Juvenile hawks will be your trouble and they will take extra risks to get one. If active nest, then long-term setting for trouble with birds used to people. What kind of dog do you have?

Red-tail is a concern but an active nest below where you go each day not typical. Did the hawks fledge chicks? Should have been done within last few weeks. Juvenile hawks will be your trouble and they will take extra risks to get one. If active nest, then long-term setting for trouble with birds used to people. What kind of dog do you have?
I think is might have babies i cant see. It's a full grown adult because I see it all the time. I have two dogs, a yorkie and a nova scotia duck tolling retriever.

It sounds like you need to keep a cover over your birds. It's too much work and money to raise a buffet for large hawks. I'd keep a close eye on that Yorkie, too. It's rabbit size, so it is fair game.

Back
Top Bottom