Free ranging pros and cons?

Any and all. Cheapest generally is electrified fencing.

Some people will tell you that electric fencing (not netting) will not contain chickens. I am starting to think that it most definitely will, even in it's simplest cheapest form - several strands of electric wire.

I am basing my opinion on the fact that from August 2012 until fall 2013, my flock of hens literally DESTROYED my landscaped beds on my 5 acres. They tore up plants, dug holes, threw every bit of mulch out to the point that it smothered and killed the grass bordering the beds.

Then we installed the simple electric fence in the pictures. It is hooked to a GOOD charger with a GOOD ground, and carries about 7500 volts per my voltimeter. At first, the hens hopped over it, until one or two happened to touch it... And they quickly taught the rest of the hens not to go anywhere near it. The entire flock now gives it a wide berth, and while they follow me like the Pied Piper all over the rest of the property, they will not get within 50' of that electric fence. The won't even go under their previous-to-electric-fence-and-20'-away-from-fence favorite bushes. That simple fence has stopped them dead in their tracks.

They also will not go near the 5-strand electric fence I installed to contain my goats.

My adults clear even the poultry netting. The fencing and ground prep for keeping it hot may be providing a boundary or even a resource impacting the flocks ranging habits. I have a about five acres of meadow that is difficult for birds to walk through, so much that the games will fly the length of a football field from moved patch to mowed patch or not go there at all. In the latter situation I can mow trails and birds will then follow those but avoid intervening areas. They like the edges but those same areas are readily adopted as boundaries.

So, just lost another rooster to the x@!*% eagle. That would be 6 in 4 months. Plus one hen and one hen badly injured. Watched it flying by with someone's cat the other evening. I now only let my chickens out when I am with them. Have a new roo and he prefers to stay in the run so they hens usually stay with him. Let them out this morning while cleaning the barn and sure enough, within 5 minutes the eagle was circling, so back in the coop they go. Thinking about stringing fishing line with CD's across an area of the field to see if that would deter it. Any thoughts? The neighbour is so fed up he might solve the problem permanently, yeah I know it is illegal to shoot them but I for one would be happy to see the problem just vanish.

I've had hawk issues. Flashy hangy things didn't seem to make any difference. What helped some was stretching a camo net using some rope and t posts. Hawks and eagles swoop so having areas the flock can get under can make a difference.

Still I would occasionally lose one. Everything love the taste of chicken.

Last edited:
it is illegal to shoot them but they really don't like it when you let off a few bottle rockets in their direction...and well it is fun also doesn't hurt the birds but scares them away for a good while

I keep my garden fenced with 3.5' high deer netting, and the chickens do not try to fly over it. I'm thinking about fencing in my flower beds, but at this point, am too lazy to do so, so they are decimating some of my flower beds. they are leaving the bed that is planted to roses alone, for the most part. but the front flower bed... in front of the house... the one that I'd love for it to look nice, they've turned that one into a dust bowl. I've pretty much given up on flowers, except for a couple of pots in my veggie garden, and some flowers interplanted in the veggie garden. At least the chickens are happy!

I have 8 hens and 1 rooster. I live on 2 acres, with plenty of grazing space, shade, many, many places with dirt where they take their baths. I keep 5 fresh
low-sided water containers scattered all around. I am only fenced on 3 sides, they seem to be smart enough to stay off the road. Their food and another water is inside a pretty good sized hen-house with 5 floor height nesting boxes. And lot's of night-time roosting room with a bar and a ladder. Every one files into their house one hour before dark like clockwork, then I shut it down for the night. I have 5 cats that never bother them, in fact they all hang out together. I keep my food garden well protected from them and the deer. And I have little scraps of pokey chicken wire around my ornamental landscape items that they "like", and they got the message very quickly to stay away! I hose down my porch stairs and walkway which get pooped on during the day, every night when I go out to water the garden's. I did loose my miniature banty roo and a silky 2 month's ago. They were taken during the day, so, the predator was more than likely a bald eagle, a hawk or an Osprey, as we are overrun with these in the Spring. I have the happiest chickens ever! They love their oyster shell, scratch and all our "approved" kitchen food scraps. They bring joy to us and everyone who sees them cruising around my property. If you can free range with safety and be sure they have water, shade and a place to bathe, DO IT!

2 more cons the other day. Up to 10 whacked by the local predators this summer. Now we are at the point where it is costing us money. Hens will be staying in the coop. It's huge anyway.

Last edited:
2 more cons the other day. Up to 10 whacked by the local predators this summer. Now we are at the point where it is costing us money. Hens will be staying in the coop. It's huge anyway.

We lived in Alaska until 2010. I don't think I could have free ranged my birds up there, either. Predators (and ALL the wildlife) in AK don't seem to have the fear of humans that lower 48 predators do. Down here, I bank on the fact that the presence and smell of my dogs will keep most of my predators at bay. In Alaska, it made no difference - wolves and bears hung out in the backyard whenever they wanted.... Wolves only in winter, and only when there was little/no snowcover, bears only in summer.

I have had 2 Plymouth Rocks for 2 years. To start, I had a 3 hen hutch, that I opened each morning. In the evening, they would be back inside or I would leave the small door open. It didn't take long before roosting in a tree nearest to the back porch, was their 'home'.. This last winter was BAD, They were put in a wood box during the single digit nights and spent lots of time on, under the back porch, Slight shelter from the wind, but aside from a frozen comb, we're good! Altogether, I have lost 6 store bought chicks & a Roo to a dog THAT KNOWS BETTER NOW. The same dog was aggressive when a chicken cheeped in Fear, hawk was just 5 ft from them when I caught sight. I think my beloved Dog was ready to take that hawk down! WHEW!! I have a kitty carrier with hay in it on the back porch, where most of my 4 girls lay their eggs. I have had to hike for eggs, in sandstone rocks, hay, high grass, but since it is only me, with 4 hens, i won't likely be buying eggs soon!!!
I live on 20 acres, in the Montana Mountains, 6 mi to a paved, tarred road, where if something has been caught/left for/by coyotes YOU KNOW IT! For some reason, I don't have as much of a problem with predators as others. I am pretty set on Free range because the girls lay well and they keep the bugs down.
***********BUG control is right next to getting eggs on why I chose to have chickens! *************
They eat frogs? Ah, gee, that's a bummer...
Oh, my garden is chain linked fenced & Broom enforced! LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom