Free ranging question…

Pics
Any time you free range they are vulnerable. There are stories on here where a hawk of fox grabbed a chicken within 10 to 15 feet of where a person was standing. Being out there helps quite a bit but they are still vulnerable. You don't get guarantees.

It's not always the predator you expect either. Hawks, owls, and eagles do pose a risk, even when in a run if it doesn't have a roof on it. In Northeast Florida you also have foxes, coyotes, and bobcat. Dogs may be your biggest risk, they are mine. Raccoon, skunk, and even possum may be a bigger risk at night but they can hunt during daylight hours. I've even seen possum out in daylight, I did not expect that.

Some people can free range years without a predator attack. Some can get wiped out the first day they try it. You can read others' stories above.

My parents had two attacks, a fox and a dog, from the time I can remember until I left after high school. In three years of free ranging I lost two chickens, probably a fox. Then in a few months span I had two dog attacks from people abandoning dogs in the country. I lost 8 in one attack and 5 in the other. I really did not enjoy shooting those dogs, it was not their fault they were abandoned.

So I got electric netting to protect against land-based predators. It worked, no more losses to land-based predators. Over the years I've lost one fully grown hen to a hawk and one 2-month-old to an owl. That's all, others have lost a lot more.

I am curious as to whether I am just being over protective or should leave it as is.
That is totally your call. I don't know how many you have or how precious each one is to you. How upset would you be if one were killed?

I don't keep individual chickens, I keep a flock with replaceable parts. One of my goals is to raise them for meat, they are not pets. Losing two in three years was acceptable to me but losing 13 in two dog attacks was too much. Hopefully you will never see a dog, coyote, fox, or bobcat attack, or have a problem with an aerial predator. But if you free range the risk is there.

Thank you all for your replies! I am not going to free range. I like the quote from above,
“We live in the country where the risk is high and though they are chickens they are not just farm animals to us but pets with a purpose. I would be sad to lose any.“
I could not handle losing any one of my six. Thanks for all the input, but will leave it as is.:thumbsup

Food for thought: Free-ranging is not the only, or even the most common way to lose chickens..... If you consider what is the best environment the animal could possibly live in, it's not confinement.
Anyone free ranging?
You're going to find (and there is a poll on here somewhere,) the answer to this is split right down the middle with those who do and those who don't. Those who do, don't love their chickens less. I've had chickens for 20years now free-range every day. I've lost 1 chicken to a predator, IN my run, not free-ranging..... Not even remotely trying to change your mind, as I get the feeling you went into this question leaning towards one side. So just giving you my honest experience.

While it may seem like a straightforward question, successful free ranging requires the right attitude and management.
There is a world of difference between free ranging and ranging, so knowing what system one is going to adopt before one even gets chickens is important.
Some breeds are more suitable for free ranging than others while most chickens can range successfully given the right conditions.
Very briefly to free range one needs the right breeds, at least one rooster and hens that are likely to go broody. The idea is one will lose chickens but this is offset by having the flock replace itself without bringing in new stock from outside. There is a lot more to it, but if you don't have the above minimum what is likely to happen is one won't have many chickens left after a while.

Ranging can be done with relative safety by most keepers. In your case you could let them out in whatever space you have if you are prepared to supervise them. Even an hour or two a day is likely to have health benefits.

I free range. We have a covered run, and a larger fenced in area around that, but I still let them out to roam on 2.5 acres. We also have hawks, owls and eagles. In the year and a half I’ve let them free range, we’ve had one attack. I shut them in the fenced in area for a week or so, until the predator seems to have given up, then I let them back out and haven’t had an issue.

Just my experience!

I will let them into a large fenced area (my garden) when I'm out there, in lieu of true free ranging because we have a lot of hawks around right now (and had a VERY close call recently, when my daughter was even out there with them). I feel like this is a good compromise, as I can't bring myself to just let them out for the day right now.

I have chickens that are mixed breeds. You name it, it’s probably in there somewhere. None have crests and all are standard size. I have never left my chickens in a run, even when they were without a rooster for a short period. Even the broodies get out and about with their chicks.

A rooster will usually watch for predators and alert the flock to danger. When we had no rooster, the top two hens took over the role and did a good job. In my opinion standing there to supervise doesn’t make any difference; there are plenty of stories here on BYC where the human was right there, but the hawk or coyote got away with the goods anyway.

In my opinion flocks that spend their time out and about learn what to watch for and are better equipped to handle the situation. There’s nothing like experience as a teacher. Note that I have a LOT of cover available for my flock in the form bushes and small trees. Also, there are very few dead ends in the yard where they could be trapped with no escape.

If you go the free range route you do need to be prepared for losses. If you don’t ever want losses, you probably shouldn’t let them out and keep them in a run.

I used to let mine free range. Now and then I’d lose one, and subsequently lock everyone in the run for a couple weeks. But I’d let them out again as I loved those free range eggs. The next spring I’d raise a few more chicks, to replace those lost. It worked for me. Three yrs ago the hawks became more frequent and finally killed one of my hens, in full view of the flock. After that, no one even asked to go out. They haven’t been let out since. They have a very large run, and most of my current flock has never known free range.

Back
Top Bottom