free ranging question.....

JennaLynn122

Songster
5 Years
Feb 22, 2014
Coffee Co. Tennessee
I would like to free range my chickens but I have a few questions...
1. How do you start to free range an adult chicken?
2. Do you need to have a fenced yard to do this? I'd assume not since they can fly anyway.
3. How do you keep them where you want them?
And finally
4. His do you keep them protected from predators while free ranging?

Well, I'll answer the best I can within my experience level.

A lot of this depends on where you are. If you are in a suburban or urban area, it's best to have a fence. Depending on the chickens you have, they probably won't fly over a 6 ft fence. Mine are too big for that, and also much too interested in finding bugs to even think about it.

If you live out in the country, it might depend on how close is your neighbor and do they have dogs running loose. I have friends that let their chickens go all over their property, but they have serious acreage.

You might try beginning to free range them by just letting them out about an hour before dusk. You will be surprised how easily they just go back to the coop. And, if I need to get mine back in during the day, I just call them in with a handful of BOSS.

I didn't answer all your questions, I know, but it's a start...

Well, I'll answer the best I can within my experience level.

A lot of this depends on where you are.  If you are in a suburban or urban area, it's best to have a fence.  Depending on the chickens you have, they probably won't fly over a 6 ft fence.  Mine are too big for that, and also much too interested in finding bugs to even think about it.

If you live out in the country, it might depend on how close is your neighbor and do they have dogs running loose.  I have friends that let their chickens go all over their property, but they have serious acreage.

You might try beginning to free range them by just letting them out about an hour before dusk.  You will be surprised how easily they just go back to the coop.  And, if I need to get mine back in during the day, I just call them in with a handful of BOSS.

I didn't answer all your questions, I know, but it's a start...

Thank you. I live in a fairly rural area. Close neighbors but not city at all. We have about n acre they can roam on. I'm just so worried they will go missing or some predator will get them. They have a huge run for the number of them but I'd love to see them out and about. You make a good point about the dog though. Mine may try to get them if a hen decides to go visit them in their fenced area and my neighbor has one that roams although she's never paid mind to the chickens

With free ranging there is always a chance if them getting taken by a predator
I let mine free range all day and at dusk they go into roost themselves

I would like to free range my chickens but I have a few questions...
1. How do you start to free range an adult chicken?
2. Do you need to have a fenced yard to do this? I'd assume not since they can fly anyway.
3. How do you keep them where you want them?
And finally
4. His do you keep them protected from predators while free ranging?
1. As previously stated, you can start letting your chickens out an hour or two before dusk. They know where their coop is, so they'll go back there at night.
2. If you have close neighbors, you should have a fenced yard to keep the chickens in. You don't want them over at the neighbors' bothering them, pooping on their lawns and tearing up their gardens. This does not make for good neighborly relations.
3. About the only way to keep them where you want them is to fence them in or out.
4. There is no 100% guaranteed way to protect a free range flock. It does help to have bushes, tall grass, or other hiding places for them.

You mentioned your dogs. You need to find a way to keep them separated. If you have done no training with them to leave the chickens alone, you will need to keep them penned up while your chickens are out - especially since you said they have already shown interest in your birds. I'd also keep an eye on the neighbor's dog. If it comes over while your chickens are out, send it home or call your neighbor to come get it. It may not show interest now, but you never know how it will react when it has access to the running, flapping, squawking things.

Thank you. I live in a fairly rural area. Close neighbors but not city at all. We have about n acre they can roam on. I'm just so worried they will go missing or some predator will get them. They have a huge run for the number of them but I'd love to see them out and about. You make a good point about the dog though. Mine may try to get them if a hen decides to go visit them in their fenced area and my neighbor has one that roams although she's never paid mind to the chickens

My dogs leave the chickens alone but that's when I'm out with them. I don't trust my dogs without me being outside with them.
If there's a dog roaming the area then your best bet in keeping them safe is a fence. I've lived in the country and never let our dogs roam onto other property. I don't get why people think it's acceptable to do that.
roll.png
It causes problems for other people...such as someone wanting to let their chickens out on their property and can't because someone doesn't want to control their dog.
Sorry, people irritate me at times.
Anyway ,a fence will also keep your chickens off of other property which is equally important.
Free range chickens are always going to have an increased chance of being picked off by a predator. I let mine free range because I know they're happier and healthier doing so. They'll know what to do. At first, they'll want to keep the coop in sight. They'll return at night.

My dogs leave the chickens alone but that's when I'm out with them. I don't trust my dogs without me being outside with them.
If there's a dog roaming the area then your best bet in keeping them safe is a fence. I've lived in the country and never let our dogs roam onto other property. I don't get why people think it's acceptable to do that. :rolleyes:  It causes problems for other people...such as someone wanting to let their chickens out on their property and can't because someone doesn't want to control their dog. 
Sorry, people irritate me at times.
Anyway ,a fence will also keep your chickens off of other property which is equally important. 
Free range chickens are always going to have an increased chance of being picked off by a predator. I let mine free range because I know they're happier and healthier doing so. They'll know what to do. At first, they'll want to keep the coop in sight. They'll return at night.

Thank you for the info.
But my dogs haven't shown interest. I just think with thier attitude they would try something of the chickens crossed the dogs fence.

If you do freerange, I recommend having roosters, and definitely more than one if you have more than 10 hens.

Since you have one acre, in your shoes I might probably fence the area in, if you comfortably can. The protection from predators, including dogs will be well worth the trouble in restful nights.

We freerange our large flock in our rural area- but these days only with supervision. Previously, we didn't supervise, and lost twelve hens to coyotes and two to ravens. Once our baby cockerels came to age, they are watchful and have helped tremendously to keep their flock safe. We count every bird every night to make sure everyone makes it home safely. This is very important as if someone is injured, or if a predator comes through. Even with human supervising, issues do happen- especially ravens.

One cockerel, Rhett, saved a hen from being killed by a raven. He fought the raven and was badly mauled. He is partially blind in one eye now. If we hadn't realized what was happening (DH was supervising when this event happened) and scared it away, there is no way he would've survived as well. Rhett is our largest bird, so if it could happen to him, it could happen to any bird. Just our experience.

A good perimeter fence (property line) is always recommended. A chicken will range roughly 2 acres from their home/coop. A good dog or goose will most predators at bay. Dogs are great against ground predators a geese keep most aerial predators at bay.

Thank you for the info.
But my dogs haven't shown interest. I just think with thier attitude they would try something of the chickens crossed the dogs fence.

I thought you said a neighbor's dog roams your property?

My dogs didn't show interest when they chickens were in the run. When that barrier was removed, trust me, I had to train my dogs to leave them alone. The chickens will most likely avoid your dogs if your dogs are penned in an area. The neighbor's dog may be a different story.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom