Free ranging question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SandraMort, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Songster

May 8, 2008
    Quote:Exactly. & letting them out to free range I would do when they're almost ready to roost so they're not all that far when they're looking to go back in to roost. then they'll be use to doing it on their own.

funny yours stopped laying? maybe someone on the "behaviors" board can give some insite for you? I'd post there to see what they think.

2. SandraMort

SandraMort Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Until we started ranging them, the birds spent the nights in the barn, then we opened the door to the run so they could go back and forth during the day. Once we started ranging them, the door to the pen was left open also, so they always had access to the barn.

Due to other unrelated complication in their lives, I think we'll be giving them a few pen only days, then go back to a few hours in the afternoon until they're older. That makes sense. I have kids and can't be outside babysitting chickens while they play.

3. SandraMort

SandraMort Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    The good news is that today's head count only shows 5 missing, but my favorite is one of them [​IMG] I was gonna let her stay alive! I guess that made THAT an easy decision.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:They have probably just started hiding the eggs. Look in any tall grass, or any place else they would think is reasonably hidden, and I'd bet you'll find your eggs!

5. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Songster

May 8, 2008
    Quote:Well I don't think any of us have time for chicken sitting. LOL But the "few hours in the afternoon" is the way I do this too because that's how they'll learn. The later in the day you can do it means they'll herd themselves back too. The first few nights I "put them in" & then I'll just go back & forth checking to see for the next few nights & they'll be putting themselves in.

I haven't had a tick on a dog or person since the birds have mad their 2nd trip through the yard... [​IMG]

6. SandraMort

SandraMort Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Oh, ok. I thought you guys meant I should sit outside with the birds the whole time. [​IMG]

I had been putting them out for a couple o f hours and they seemed to do very well at putting themselves to bed. A few miss the door and pace back and forth trying to figure out how to get in, but otherwise, most are inside waiting for dinner.

Yesterday was the first time they didn't -- of course it would be while my landlady was there watching! *blush*

I'm very excited about tick removal, too!

Quote:

7. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Songster

May 8, 2008
    Quote:They have probably just started hiding the eggs. Look in any tall grass, or any place else they would think is reasonably hidden, and I'd bet you'll find your eggs!

See how much more interesting life is when chickens are in it? I mean it's like an Easter egg hunt all the time.... LOL

8. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Songster

May 8, 2008
    LOL too funny when they pace outside trying to get in! 2 or 3 nights in a row I had a little pullet on the outside of the enclosed area & the others were all on the perches on the inside & she kept going back & forth trying to get in etc. Too funny! As for the landlady watching when they were giving you a hard time well it wouldn't be any fun giving us a hard time if they didn't do it where there's some witnesses.... They must have heard this from the dogs & the HUMAN kids!

Quote:

9. SandraMort

SandraMort Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Oh, no, no, she wasn't giving me a hard time, but I was so embarrassed.

10. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Songster

Mar 31, 2008

My son just found a nest in the woods yesterday with 6 eggs in it. Guess she was laying and hiding them as mentioned above. Saw my RIR leaving that area, we went to look and we found a warm brown egg in there too. She knew about the nest in the woods also!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: