Free ranging questions

suzannesparks

Chirping
May 8, 2021
Does anyone keep their chickens in a yard/run during growing season and then free range during the fall and winter? I wanted to free range, but they are destroying my gardens. Was hoping to rotate them between two pens during the warmer months, and then once the gardens are covered they could free range. Does anyone do this?

Does anyone keep their chickens in a yard/run during growing season and then free range during the fall and winter? I wanted to free range, but they are destroying my gardens. Was hoping to rotate them between two pens during the warmer months, and then once the gardens are covered they could free range. Does anyone do this?
Great question! my chickens destroy my garden as well, so I often just herd them to the front yard. Without free range time chickens can become stressed, especially in the summers, and they are also more vulnurable to pests like mites and lice if they don't dust bathe, and unless you put grit into their food, they will have health problems.

Great question! my chickens destroy my garden as well, so I often just herd them to the front yard. Without free range time chickens can become stressed, especially in the summers, and they are also more vulnurable to pests like mites and lice if they don't dust bathe, and unless you put grit into their food, they will have health problems.
Even with a big fenced in yard area?

I'm in the same situation. I have a flock of 26 and used to let them free range all day. However, I lost a ton of eggs when they started choosing their own nesting spots and then when I started the garden every year they would eat seeds and destroy seedlings.

Right now I keep them in the coop and fenced run until mid afternoon, and then let everyone out to free range until dusk. They invariably get into the garden and I try to be around to shoo them out.

I'm in the same situation. I have a flock of 26 and used to let them free range all day. However, I lost a ton of eggs when they started choosing their own nesting spots and then when I started the garden every year they would eat seeds and destroy seedlings.

Right now I keep them in the coop and fenced run until mid afternoon, and then let everyone out to free range until dusk. They invariably get into the garden and I try to be around to shoo them out.
I’m sort of thinking of a chicken tractor during the growing season and then free range during the fall/winter.

Back
Top Bottom