Free ranging when it's sprinkling or damp?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by srfjeld, Jul 21, 2011.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    I live in Portland, Oregon and we are having a very fall-like summer... cool, overcast days... very bleak and dreary, with the promise of warm weather always on the horizon. Anyway, my girls love to free-range and I'm wondering if it's okay to let them out when it's sprinkling. Often, it's the only time I have to let them out. I only ask b/c I've already lost 3, 2 to unknown causes, and I don't want to take the chance of my last 3 getting sick.

Thank you

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Quote:Shure, My girls don't normally want to leave the run when it's sprinkling but it won't hurt them. Remember, chickens where made to survive without coops and runs. So they have oils to repel water like a duck [​IMG]

3. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Mine are often outside when it is lightly raining. They will get wet, but if they have a nice dry coop, they should be fine [​IMG]

4. ID Pam

ID Pam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Treasure Valley area
    I live in the Boise, ID area and the summers are normally pretty dry. My 20 chickens have a coop large enough if the weather is truly ugly. I had a heat lamp in this spring when they were old enough to be outside but still immature. I switched it to a regular light when it warmed up a little (finally) and turned it off completely at the weather moderated. They free range during the day and have a large covered pen for night time security. The run is against the house so it is well protected on one side. I am wondering about winter. I presume snow is not their favorite thing. However, I also presume that it would not hurt them if they choose to go out and explore. The last several years we have had a minimal amount of snow. Night time temps maybe as low as the teens for a few days at a time. Day time temps usually above freezing, probably 90% of the time. At this time I have food and water in the run. When it gets cold and nasty, I will move it back into the coop where there is electricty for a light and to use the plug in waterer to keep it from freezing. There is no door on the coop, so they will always be able to get out in the covered run. I would prefer to let them run around outside during the day if they wish to do so. Maybe someone with some cold weather experience will share their knowledge with me.

Pam in ID

5. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    I would assume so :)

I soaked my run yesterday and they were squawking trying to get away..but it was 103 and heat indexies much much higher...I figured it didnt hurt them...altho
    they didnt like it lol...prob cooled them down some!

6. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not too far south of you and I would say yes. Give them the option. Some won't mind the rain, most of mine are too spoiled. I let them out, they go hang out in my woodshed! Some hate getting rained on. But sprinkling they don't seem to mind much at all.

7. Endur50

Endur50 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    Mine have the coop open every day regardless of weather. If it rains they usually make their way back to the coop, under the horse trailer, into the garage, wherever they see fit (and usually with the yard cat in tow, who thinks he's one of the flock). When it's just spitting they usually stay out foraging, but when it starts raining too much for their taste, they'll find cover.

8. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    I moved out to Delaware from Gresham Oregon in 2004.

Ok, you Oregon guys with the weather like it is now for you make me sick.....[​IMG]

I got a text from a friend in Vancouver and they told me like 71 degrees and only a few days over 80. Geeze, make us envious or what.

9. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    We open the coop let them decide what they want . They are in & out of the coop most of the time they are in the tree line next to the coop. When it is getting ready to really rain they head for the coop. They are only confined to the run when we are gone.

10. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Quote:x2. In my case, under the bushes, or under the wheelbarrow. Never in the coop. Not even in the hail. They get really upset when I made them go inside because I was afraid the hail would hurt them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by