Free ranging

Jul 19, 2021
Montgomery county ny
I was wondering how do I free range we have neighbors right next door one doesnt mind if they free range her yard and the other behind us doesnt but on the other side does and soon that wont be able to free range behind us anymore how if there is any way do I keep the chickens in my own yard without using a fence and them not running away because we cant cacht them to put them back in the coop and if there is a super easy fence like and we use a strand of electrical wire or barb wire to keep them in and then will they go in the road if anybody knows anything please help

I had my first hawk attack in 9 years and the little flying pest won’t stay away, so I wanted something so that my flock could still eat grass, be protected, can be taken down in winter, and cheap.
I purchased those green garden stakes and then placed pvc over the stakes and connected the pvc to make a panel with a bottom brace. I then put deer netting around the pvc and ziptied the netting to it. I did spray paint the pvc black because from a distance people won’t notice it.
This may be an idea for you.
Keep in mind that neighbors have changed their mind about chickens as soon and they have chicken poop in their yard and the chickens have dug holes in their lawn and destroyed their garden/flowers.

As an animal owner you are 100% responsible to keep your animals on your own property. If that property is a town lot you need to either construct a run and keep the chickens confined or you need to fence your property with something that will contain your chickens.

I might normally recommend electric poultry netting from Premier 1, but electric fence in a town neighborhood can be a liability problem, especially if there are kids around. You'd have to keep it well inside your property line so that anyone who touched it and got shocked was clearly trespassing and have it clearly marked with appropriate signage.

1627127778574.png

No fence is cheap, but t-posts and 2x4 wire is probably the most cost effective for most situations. Chickens *may* go over it (there are ways to reduce that), and it's proof against many dogs -- but shouldn't be relied on as general predator protection.

I had my first hawk attack in 9 years and the little flying pest won’t stay away, so I wanted something so that my flock could still eat grass, be protected, can be taken down in winter, and cheap.
I purchased those green garden stakes and then placed pvc over the stakes and connected the pvc to make a panel with a bottom brace. I then put deer netting around the pvc and ziptied the netting to it. I did spray paint the pvc black because from a distance people won’t notice it.
This may be an idea for you.
Keep in mind that neighbors have changed their mind about chickens as soon and they have chicken poop in their yard and the chickens have dug holes in their lawn and destroyed their garden/flowers.
Our neighbor had chickens when she was younger so I'm not to worried about that but I will definetley look into that idea for fencing

As an animal owner you are 100% responsible to keep your animals on your own property. If that property is a town lot you need to either construct a run and keep the chickens confined or you need to fence your property with something that will contain your chickens.

I might normally recommend electric poultry netting from Premier 1, but electric fence in a town neighborhood can be a liability problem, especially if there are kids around. You'd have to keep it well inside your property line so that anyone who touched it and got shocked was clearly trespassing and have it clearly marked with appropriate signage.

View attachment 2771929

No fence is cheap, but t-posts and 2x4 wire is probably the most cost effective for most situations. Chickens *may* go over it (there are ways to reduce that), and it's proof against many dogs -- but shouldn't be relied on as general predator protection.
We are actually looking into getting stuff like premier one I was just hoping to give them more area because we havve 2 acres we have t posts and fencong now but the run is tiny and i was hoping to get something bigger without needing anymore fencing

Unfortunately, when it comes to chickens you either fence them in where they're allowed to be or fence them out of where they're not allowed to be.

They go where the best food is, whether that's where you want them to go or not.
Very true I have learned that the hard way especially because the neighbor has 5 bird feeder and tosses out bread

Back
Top Bottom