Free Ranging

lmadeline146

Songster
Jun 6, 2022
We’re thinking of free ranging our 10 pullets and 2 cockarels in a few weeks once they start laying eggs. Is there anything we should do to make sure they are safe on their first day free ranging? We live by a wooded area but have a 3 acre yard for the flock. Will any of them get lost on the first day?

We’re thinking of free ranging our 10 pullets and 2 cockarels in a few weeks once they start laying eggs. Is there anything we should do to make sure they are safe on their first day free ranging? We live by a wooded area but have a 3 acre yard for the flock. Will any of them get lost on the first day?
From what I've read and heard, I don't think you need to worry. As long as they have been confined to their coop for a couple days and are able to put themselves to sleep in the coop, they should stay in range of each other and the coop.

If you're looking for ways to keep them safer while free-ranging I would say making sure they have more cover (ex. bushes, trees, other coops or roofing) from arial predators and hanging up things like old CDs (reflect light to confuse predators), hang up string in certain areas the chickens frequent (arial predators don't like diving into areas they can't easily escape) would help as well. Doing research to find out what other kinds of predators you'd need to watch out for will help also. (Ex my area doesn't have foxes but yours might).
I hope that helped! :)

When they figure out that there are lots of bugs under the leaves in the woods, they will go in the woods. In the woods they are in big trouble. That's how it is in Missouri anyway. I have a fenced in yard that is 200 x 100 feet. Kinda like free ranging. Only have to worry about bop.

How to let them out; start in late afternoon, so they will be motivated to get inside to their roosts in a short time. Don't start them outside in the morning, at least not at first.
Having them outside, you will loose birds, sometimes one, sometimes many at once. Everyone loves chicken! If you can't accept the risks to them, build a big predator proof run instead. In fact, build it anyway, because there will be times, sometimes for weeks, when they need to be inside under a roof anyway. Right now might be one of those times, depending on the AI situation where you live.
Chickens were jungle animals, and prefer to be under trees and shrubs to open ground anyway. Mine spend time under trees, and often run across an open pasture area to get to the cover of the barn. Mowed grass is not a favorite area either.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom