free ranging

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by marmo66, Oct 20, 2011.

1. marmo66

marmo66 New Egg

Dec 8, 2009
    Hi. i have a problem when i let my chickens free range. i have rocks around my shrubery in front of the house. they like to scratch around in the rocks, sending them everywhere. is there anything i can sprinkle around to discourage this activity? i thought about chili pepper, but i haven't tried anything yet. perhaps, spraying for the bugs they are after, but didn't know if that would be harmful to them if they ate them. short of keeping them in their pen, i just don't know what to do. i have placed old screens over most of the area and this doesn't look very good. looks like jed clampetts place..... thanks:/

2. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

not sure what will work- but chilli pepper won't. Altho I have heard it may increase egg production [​IMG]

3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:This is just one of the things we learn to deal with when we choose to have chickens. Please do not spray insecticide to kill the bugs,you end up killing beneficial insects and it can make your chickens ill or die. We have a bank beside our barn the girls just love to scratch and dig on to the point the barn was in peril of loosing it's floor. We simply laid fence wire down on the bank and let the grass and flowers grow up through it. The girls can still scratch and are happy but they cannot dig enough to cause problems now!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you "free range" your birds in a smaller tract of land, ie, your backyard basically, they'll do this and more. It is what it is. A flock of chickens benefit greatly from a 5 acre parcel upon which to range. Unfortunately, not everyone has that much acreage upon which to loose them.

5. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    Its funny, I have a suburban yard and 4 birds. they scratch at the mulch etc... and send it all over the place and eat bugs and such. Whats funny is I actually enjoy watching them scratch and fling it all over even though I have to rake and sweep everyday. It is just what chickens do and I happen to find a lot of joy in it.

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Quote:The olny way to stop this is fencing. Either of the chickens or the shrubs.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Why not just enjoy having the chickens. We have a few spots the chickens aren't allowed, so I just covered it with chicken wire and that stopped it. Yes they do make a mess for the tidy, but that's what chickens do. They're little 2 legged roto-tillers.

8. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    We live in the country and the chickens never venture into the landscaped portion of our yard. They're too busy attacking the mulch pile which is full of garden debris, leaves, horse and donkey poop, etc. They've made my job SO MUCH EASIER as they turn it all over, break it down, and spread it out so that I can use it without having to do a lot of work myself. They also help weed around the barn and have created a wonderful "raked" section all the way around the barns perimeter. I've seen folks with less property use the cheapest chicken wire fencing to protect their landscape. It can be done in a manner that's unobtrusive and effective.

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have over 300 acres...but mine prefer to scratch up my landscaping rock as well....either you put it back, lay some chicken wire on top of it, or leave it be...they ARE chickens...they do what they do!

10. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Get bigger rocks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by