1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free ranging

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Country Gal, May 16, 2007.

1. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    I've seen several posts lately about free ranging and I would definitely love to let my chicks out in the yard, but I have a couple questions:

When should I start letting them out? My chicks are 3 weeks old - are they a little young still?

I'm really worried that they would get lost or I wouldn't be able to get them back to their brooder - am I being over protective?

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I started letting mine out when they were 6 weeks old. I had cockerels and pullets and started by just letting the boys out first. After a couple of days I knew they could act as guides for the pullets.
    I think 3 weeks may be a little young unless you are there to watch them.

Andy

3. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Well I place my birds in their coop at 4-5 weeks old. i keep them in the coop for about a week. This way they associate the coop with home. After their week of being kept in the coop, I open the door. It usually takes a couple of days for they to figure out they can out, But some just rush right out. The First night or two, you might have to collect them up, once it nears dark, but after that they usually figure out to go in before dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by