Free Ranging?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EmZoWe, Jan 2, 2015.

1. EmZoWe

EmZoWe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    America
    Hi, this is my first post and I'm a newbie so sorry if I post in the wrong place.
    But my question is: should I let my chickens free range with these conditions?

My house has a stream in the back which has grasshoppers and dragonflies in the summer. There are trees, but also thorny bushes. I expect that they can find loads of bugs and grass to feed on. We have no fence and I live in a neighborhood with one outside cat which I have seen kill mice. It's an old cat and doesn't seem interested on too much chasing. We have ordered 1 barred rock, 1 buff orpington, 1 golden comet, and 1 wyandotte. They will be chicks and will be shipped to our house (up north in the US) in the summer.

I still go to school and it's from 7:00 AM and I get back home at 3:00 PM. There will be no one home until 3:00 PM.

Our neighborhood is also pretty large and we have a lot of roads. Should I let them free range?

(The cat is owned by my neighbors, so I can't expect them to remove it.)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. So I go to school as well. We leave the birds locked up while I'm away, but when I come home I let them out. If someone is staying home I'll let them out in the morning.

If they're free ranged you still lock them up at night, but just allow them to go wherever during the day.
    I'd leave the birds locked up while you're at school, and then just let them out when you come home.

3. rjackh

rjackh Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    Central Texas
    I agree with keeping them cooped while you're at class.

4. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Yes.
    Free range gives them their own time to dust/sun bath,and it's time where you can sit down and talk with them.Practicaly it's time to bond,and get all the goodies.

Welcome!
    ThePRFan

5. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    I always have somebody with my birds.This is daily free range.
    You should also consider a rooster.They'll warn if hawks are around.

6. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by