Free Rangr and rain

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by abhaya, Nov 16, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    It is raining and kinda muddy otrside. would you let the girls out in the rain or leave them in the coop?

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    mine dont mind a light rain but will come in when it rains hard, leave the door open and let them decide.

3. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Its been pouring here, and all my chickens are out in the rain... I would rather they stay dry and inside, but if they're ok outside, thats ok with me. They have the whole run with access to the coop anytime they need. Though they were NOT happy they're not being let out to free range. I think I got some massive stink eye this morning [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Rain, snow, ice, wind. My birds are out in it every day.

5. abhaya

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    mine are out just wanted to see if I was doing the same as everyone else.

6. Hillary and friend's eggs

Hillary and friend's eggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2010
    I had a White Leghorn who was the top of the pecking order, but she would slop around in the mud like a pig whenever it rained. Others (my pretty chickens) would stay inside in bad weather.

Chickens.... [​IMG] My WHITE leghorn was the one who liked to roll around in the mud the most. And she was supposed to be the graceful chicken queen!

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    For adult chickens, I let them decide what they want to do, unless there is a severe storm headed our way. Like with tornado warnings, that type of thing. Then I keep them confined to the run, so they aren't caught out at the edge of the property, with no time to get back to the coop. Mine range over a couple of acres, sometimes several acres, when the gates are open.

Young chickens are the age group that I watch out for a little more. Sometimes their first rain or first snow is a little disorienting to them and they don't know what to do, except hide. They can definitely get stranded away from the coop and in more moderate weather that wouldn't stop and adult.

8. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    Mine enjoy free ranging in light rain, but will seek shelter if it starts pouring. As long as they have access to shelter, they'll be fine.

9. abhaya

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    mine go under the front porch when it rains. My young ones are in a run till theyy get a little bigger and more confident. There are way to many places for them to hide and not get back before dark and they will be coon food if that happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by