Freedom Ranger breeding first year results

Mrs. Mucket :

Bucky-- I missed your post till now but that is a good idea. I'm just learning about selective breeding. I was thinking of trying a smaller rooster too, not for size genes but for comfort of the hens. Both my FR roos have been 15# and a FR/RIR roo was 13#.

I have not gotten responses from Nolls'--is phone the only way to reach them? Do you have any info on the Alabama hatchery?

Johnsons-r-us, do you think a WR would be a good roo to try?

The guy that I got my FR from did tell me not to pick the biggest rooster, because of how hard they can be on your hens.. I can't wait to breed these little guys.. I absolutely love their personalities, so fearless..​

Last edited:
Quote:
Jessica, was that Kendall at the FR Hatchery? Or have you found a local source? I'm in the PNW too.

An aside--one of my second generation pullets is broody! For some reason I didn't expect that. She has been very determined even though we are removing eggs (we don't have space to isolate her and chicks during cold weather).

I got them from a local hatchery, they are the same as FR just different name for legal reasons obviously, he said he bought them from someone in SC.. I can't say if they are gonna grow like their parents, but I am trying them.. I can say so far they are bigger than my DP birds were at this age and they eat like little piggies..

Quote:
The guy that I got my FR from did tell me not to pick the biggest rooster, because of how hard they can be on your hens.. I can't wait to breed these little guys.. I absolutely love their personalities, so fearless..

By the laws of genetic inheritance... By NOT using the biggest rooster in any breeding program is counterproductive as the next generations will be slower growing and not reach desired size. I used to have a RR rooster, he had no problem breeding the Bantom hens, wich had no problems with the weight of their mate. The chicks turned out 1/2 the size of the rooster and 2X the size of the Bantom hens.

Quote:
The guy that I got my FR from did tell me not to pick the biggest rooster, because of how hard they can be on your hens.. I can't wait to breed these little guys.. I absolutely love their personalities, so fearless..

By the laws of genetic inheritance... By NOT using the biggest rooster in any breeding program is counterproductive as the next generations will be slower growing and not reach desired size. I used to have a RR rooster, he had no problem breeding the Bantom hens, wich had no problems with the weight of their mate. The chicks turned out 1/2 the size of the rooster and 2X the size of the Bantom hens.

Thank you Bossroo, that is what I thought too.. I wondered how you would get the biggest bird possible, if you didn't start with the biggest birds..

Size difference in a rooster and hen can cause problems, but the fear is pretty much overrated. Plenty of people keep full sized roosters with bantam hens and don't have a problem. You are dealing with live animals so nothing is guaranteed though. Some roosters are brutes.

When chickens mate, the hen should squat. By doing this, she gets a lot of her body onto the ground so the rooster's weight is spread out. If she tried to stand up, then the weight would all be going through her legs. That would not be good.

If a hen's instincts are so far off that she won't squat, then I would not want her in my breeding program anyway. I don't always consider it the rooster's fault when something happens.

Last edited:
My 2nd Gen. FR are growing like weeds and only a few are lagging.... They are so active and rambunctious, I love watching them. I am happy to say there is a market for them, I have half of them sold already.. I will start posting pics soon..

Back
Top Bottom